Author Topic: Relationship between Latham and Bradbury families  (Read 777 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Relationship between Latham and Bradbury families
« on: Monday 25 September 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
Ralf/ph Latham and his wife Martha nee Stacy baptised a son William Bradbury Latham in Woodham Ferrers in 1835. Ralph and Martha were married in 1831 in Hazeleigh Essex. Both were single and otp.
On 1841 census Ralf, Martha and children Eliza, Caroline, William and Martha jnr are living in Woodham Ferrers, all bic. Ralph is a miller. Living with them is Elizabth Bradbury age 80.
In 1835, a William Bradbury died in Hazeleigh, in his will he left all his property to his wife Elizabeth and when she died it was to go to his nephew Ralph Latham.
In 1851, Ralph, Martha, Eliza and Caroline plus a younger child are living in London, Ralph is a grocer and says he was born in Hants. Martha jnr not with them, could have died or just old enough to have left home. William also not there but I have his career in detail, he was apprenticed by this time.

But i can't find whether Ralph was actually a nephew or really some more distant relative or a relative by marriage. Can anyone find the connection between Ralph and the Bradburys please.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Relationship between Latham and Bradbury families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 17 18:38 BST (UK) »
Have you managed to find a baptism for William Bradbury? If Ralph Latham is a nephew, I would think he must be the son of a sister of William who married a Latham?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
Ralf/ph Latham and his wife Martha nee Stacy baptised a son William Bradbury Latham in Woodham Ferrers in 1835. Ralph and Martha were married in 1831 in Hazeleigh Essex. Both were single and otp.
On 1841 census Ralf, Martha and children Eliza, Caroline, William and Martha jnr are living in Woodham Ferrers, all bic. Ralph is a miller. Living with them is Elizabth Bradbury age 80.
In 1835, a William Bradbury died in Hazeleigh, in his will he left all his property to his wife Elizabeth and when she died it was to go to his nephew Ralph Latham.
In 1851, Ralph, Martha, Eliza and Caroline plus a younger child are living in London, Ralph is a grocer and says he was born in Hants. Martha jnr not with them, could have died or just old enough to have left home. William also not there but I have his career in detail, he was apprenticed by this time.

But i can't find whether Ralph was actually a nephew or really some more distant relative or a relative by marriage. Can anyone find the connection between Ralph and the Bradburys please.

The 1841 census has Elizabeth Bradbury living there aged 20, not 80.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 17 23:57 BST (UK) »
The nephew Ralph in the will is a miller. It does seem quite a coincidence to have two millers named Ralph Latham in one village at the same time?
and

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 00:04 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census has Elizabeth Bradbury living there aged 20, not 80.

It has been transcribed as 20, but I'm not 100% convinced it is right. Enlarging the image it looks more like an 8 and differs from the 2 in 52 and 12 below it. It is also the same as the 8 in the age of the daughter Eliza.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
Yes ... I think you're right. Back to the drawing board then ...
Wonder where he is in 1861? Couldn't find the census.
and

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 08:09 BST (UK) »
The nephew Ralph in the will is a miller. It does seem quite a coincidence to have two millers named Ralph Latham in one village at the same time?

On baptism record for son William Bradbury Latham, Ralph was described as a Miller's assistant, so may have worked for William Bradbury, who died a few months after the baptism.

The nearest baptism I have found for Ralph is in Kent in 1806, s/o Jeremiah and Sarah (transcript only) I would have dismissed this as co-incidence except that a Jeremiah Latham sgt in Lancashire regt married a Sarah Dow in Maldon, Essex in 1804. Possible that Ralph was mistaken about his actual birthplace because the family moved about depending on where his father was posted. Or he was born in Hants, but baptised in Kent because family moved in between.

One biography I have seen for W B Latham says he was born near Maldon, rather than Woodham Ferrers. I think the biography was written between his retirement as curator of BBG in 1901 and his death, so author would not have access to census records.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 08:13 BST (UK) »
A Susan Doe was witness at Ralph and Martha's marriage, wonder if Sarah was a Doe not a Dow.

added
Sarah made her mark on marriage record, so probably unable to check the spelling of her name.
Susan Doe signed as witness and also on her own marriage record a short time later