Author Topic: FENNEL/RATHWELL/TACKABERRY - Perth Co., Ontario? (Upper Canada)  (Read 1324 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FENNEL/RATHWELL/TACKABERRY - Perth Co., Ontario? (Upper Canada)
« on: Monday 25 September 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out a relationship for some Irish ancestors by starting in Canada, where they immigrated.

I am descended from Margaret FENNEL, who m. in 1844 in Ireland (per Ossory Diocese marriage licenses index) Nathaniel TACKABERRY and lived in Elma, Ont. by 1850, when they baptised a son, William Henry Tackaberry.

I haven't found them in the 1851 census of Elma but they are there in 1861. They eventually moved to Lions Head and are buried there.

Living somewhat nearby the TACKABERRYs in Elma is the family of Joseph and Margaret FENNEL. Joseph is born circa 1798 and Margaret circa 1795. They have children: William (1833); Eliza (1834); James (1839); and Thomas (1841).

I am wondering if Margaret Fennel, b. 1821, is likely their daughter?

I have found Joseph's burial record from 1876. It merely says "Ireland." I can't find Margaret, his wife, in burial records! But she must have died in Canada because she is in the census.

I haven't found a baptism for Margaret Fennel Tackaberry in Ireland. Please note that this family was Protestant, as were the Tackaberrys.

I have some note written that Margaret Sr's maiden name was Rathwell, but I can't figure out where I go that and there is no evidence. I know the RATHWELL/ROTHWELLs lived near the TACKABERRY and FENNEL families in Ireland.

Any advice is appreciated!

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: FENNEL/RATHWELL/TACKABERRY - Perth Co., Ontario? (Upper Canada)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 17 18:12 BST (UK) »
Actually, I did find a marriage license bond in Ireland for Joseph Fennell and Margaret Rathwell in 1832, so that might be this couple. Which would mean Margaret couldn't be their child, being born in 1821. However, given that the pair is married late in life (in mid-thirties), maybe Margaret could be a child from a first marriage?  ???

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 17 21:37 BST (UK) »

I haven't found them in the 1851 census of Elma but they are there in 1861. They eventually moved to Lions Head and are buried there.

Several parts of the 1851 census are missing...unfortunately, Elma is one of the missing bits :'(
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census52/District.jsp?ew=w&id=29

RK

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 04:47 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q93-C9YJ-29ZG-3?i=1564&cc=1307826

Possibility for Margaret Fennell's death with indication county Carlow as place of birth.

Added:
This was for the older Margaret Fennell - possible mother of the 1821 Margaret

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q93-C9YJ-29ZG-3?i=1564&cc=1307826

Possibility for Margaret Fennell's death with indication county Carlow as place of birth.

The opening post said Margaret was born abt 1821. Unfortunately this Margaret was born in the mid-1780s.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Some information about Nathaniel Tackaberry and family here.... unfortunately, this piece doesn't say anything about the parents of his wife Margaret Fennel b. 1821. 

http://www.ourroots.ca/page.aspx?id=1058664&qryID=cf6d9db9-0d04-4ef3-b234-414cb72271a7

The death record for the mid 1780s Margaret (found by cosmac) says she was born in Co Carlow.  This book says that the Tackaberry family originated in Carlow.   This sort of connects the two Margarets in the same place in Ireland.  Still can't see anything saying that the older Margaret (Mrs Fennel) may be the mother of the younger Margaret Mrs Tackaberry)

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 19:20 BST (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the Perth County Archives...to see if they have any information on the Joseph/Margaret Fennel family - and their possible connection to your Tackaberrys??

http://www.stratfordpertharchives.on.ca/

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 19:36 BST (UK) »
I had the same sort of question in my own family... I was pretty sure certain people were related, but it was hard to prove!!

Places I looked for connections:

Marriage records for younger members of the family.. see who is a witness.  You might see some connections there - cousins acting as witnesses

Local newspapers -especially for smaller communitites... sometimes family events/gatherings are mentioned and relatives are listed (weddings/anniversaries/funerals/obits).  Also, there might be mention of relatives coming to visit or of people going to visit relatives.

Local archives/libraries/family history societies - sometimes there are diaries/labelled photos etc that can show family connections.  ("so and so's Aunt Mary"...etc. ).  Also local history books. 

Some books from the North Perth Library
 https://nppl.bibliocommons.com/search?t=smart&search_category=keyword&q=elma
Looking at the Toronto Public library catalogue... a few more books about Elma (might be at the Perth Archives too??)
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/search.jsp;jsessionid=r0-MbeZ9TBWb12LsdqAWsA__?Ntt=Elma+(Ont.+%3A+Township)--History.&Ntk=Subject_Search_Interface

RK