Author Topic: Missing Durham Home Guard record  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Durham Home Guard record
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Max, that may well be the answer!

I was surprised by the closure date on the record you linked to as I was sure the guide had said closure was 100 years from DoB unless you could evidence death (which is not a problem in this instance as he died in service), but looking again it says "Some of the records also include applications for medals, medical forms and general correspondence. The medical forms are closed until 2045 for data protection reasons

Seems a bit OTT if the people concerned are clearly deceased.

I'd already contacted them following your earlier suggestion so I'm currently waiting to see how they respond, and also awaiting the death certificate. 

Thanks again for your help - I'll let you know how I get on.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
As a PS, I've just had a look at the "Request a search of closed records" link, and it costs £23.35 with no guarantee that they'll open the record.  The same rule regarding medical records doesn't seem to apply to WW1 records, so I'm somewhat puzzled by this  ???
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
Presumably the difference has to do with the passage of time.  Best await the response to your query.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 October 17 20:24 BST (UK) »
Finally received a response from TNA, although it's not exactly helpful:

"As far as I am aware all the Durham Home Guard records that we hold, including those still closed, have been catalogued on our catalogue Discovery.  I have checked Discovery and can find no record amongst the Durham Home Guard records held in record series WO 409 for a James Morgan who was born on 26 November 1917"   ::)

I also now have his death certificate, but this adds nothing further so it looks like the only option is to pay the £23.35 and hope it's the right James Morgan and that they will open the record  :-\

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 October 17 20:38 BST (UK) »
Can only wish you luck!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 21:31 BST (UK) »
James Morgan was 25 when he was killed when a shell exploded killing him (Morgan) and another soldier Charles Sidgwick (42). The funeral services were conducted for both  in the cemetery chapel.
If anyone has photographs of Morgan and Sidgewicks headstones a copy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

James is commemorated on a family headstone rather than a 'war graves' headstone & I thought it was already online, but if not I only live a few minutes away and am there quite frequently as the family plots are all together (his brother was my grandfather).

Durham Road is a large cemetery and the various sections aren't well marked (in fact I'm not sure they're marked at all!) but Charles Sidgwick seems to be relatively close by so I will try & find his grave when I'm next there. 

Can I ask where you got the information about how they were killed, as if it was reported then Id like to obtain a copy.

Thanks

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 October 17 23:40 BST (UK) »
PM sent drop me an email and I will forward the news report

Jim

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 October 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
Big public thank you to `JOMOT` who kindly braved the rain and wind to photograph the two DLI headstones at Durham Rd .

Brilliant thank you!

Jim