Author Topic: Joiner Stokes of Ramsey and Glatton  (Read 2147 times)

Offline FENBOY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joiner Stokes of Ramsey and Glatton
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
My cousin had told me Sarah Stokes was born c.1813 at Ramsey and buried 1839 at Holme. Sarah married Ben Slote in 1832 at Holme witnesses Thomas and Maria Stokes. Ben Slote married again to Elizabeth Wright in 1841 at Holme. If Sarah died aged 27 then she is more likely to be the daughter of John and Ann ( Johnson) Stokes born 12th Oct 1812. If she was the daughter of Joiner and Hannah the birth date is too late 9th Oct 1814. However the Maria born 1808 in Ramsey supports Sarah's father perhaps being Joiner Stokes. I have a Maria Stokes died Sep 1838. I'll check with my cousin to see why she thought Joiner Stokes was Sarah's father. I'll also check more about John and Ann (Johnson) Stokes. Thanks again to all for help!

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
If you use the GRO index to search for the death of Maria Stokes in 1838, you will see that this was an infant under 1 year old:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

(You have to register to search, but this is free)

You can see the burial for Sarah Slote by searching here:
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_queries/new

(Transcriptions for the parish of Holme are not complete.  There are marriages and some burials, but no baptisms)

William and  Elizabeth Stokes' daughter Maria married John Edwards in Ramsey in 1836.  The 1851 census shows William and Elizabeth at the same address as Maria and John Edwards.

And, apologies - I should have thought of looking for this sooner.  Sarah Stokes d/o Joiner Stokes  married Jonathan Thacker at Ramsey in 1837.

There does seem to be be some connection between the Ramsey Stokes and the Holme Stokes,  but I wouldn't feel confident in saying that the John Stokes who married Ann Johnson is necessarily John Stokes the brother of Joiner and William, born in 1779, although of course he could be.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FENBOY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Galium
Your link to freeReg is fantastic. All my Slotes and Stokes very easy to locate. Even got John Robert Slote who died by drowning as a baby.  I think Joiner Stokes is no longer a direct ancestor! Can you confirm date of Sarah Stokes  born to John and Ann Stokes (Johnson) 1812 please. I think that solves the problem!

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
From the parish register of St Thomas a Becket, Ramsey. Sarah d/o John and Ann Stokes born 12 October 1812 baptised 25 October.

As you can see from FreeReg, there is a John Stokes buried at Holme on 15 November 1856, aged 66.

The will of John Stokes, farmer of Holme Fen was proved at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury on 16 December 1856.  You will be able to see this on Ancestry.co.uk if you have a subscription, or you can download a copy from the National Archives website:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ku0/

for £3.50

Among the beneficiaries are "the four children of my late daughter Sarah Slote"

In 1851 John Stokes living in Holme is aged 58 and names his birthplace as Ramsey. However there are no baptisms of Stokes children at St Thomas a Becket during the 1780s and 1790s.  His wife at this time is named Sarah, and I can't currently find a death of Ann Stokes.

However, going back to the will. John mentions a daughter Susan, wife of William Stokes.  This couple  are also living in Holme in 1851. Susan's birthplace is March, Cambridgeshire.

At St Wendreda, March the vicar was helpfully including mother's maiden names in the baptism register in 1820, when Susanna d/o John Stokes and Ann (late Johnson) was baptised on 2 January.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
Burial Of Ann Stokes of Holme Fen 26th November 1866,aged 78.Could be the wife of Thomas.

Regards
Roger

Offline FENBOY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
So John Stokes  looks good now. I'll get his will. Sarah Slote had 5 children but Joseph died as an infant so 4 is correct. They were Johnson. Robert, William and George. William Slote married Susan Moyes which agrees with the will. There are 2 deaths for Ann or Anne. 1.Anne Stokes died 1834 aged 48 and another 2. Ann Stokes died 1866 aged 78. If John remarried a Sarah  then perhaps the Anne was his first wife. Just about there THANKS

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 20:29 BST (UK) »
Here is a copy of the 1776 marriage

Offline FENBOY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 October 17 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone. I've sent for the Will of John Stokes buried Holme Fen 15 Nov 1856 and Proved Canterbury 16 or 17th Dec 1856. PROB 11/2243/280

Offline FENBOY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 22 October 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Galium and others! The Will of John Stokes of Holme Fen  (died 1856) clearly shows that he is the father of Sarah Stokes who married Benjamin SLOTE, my G-G-Grandfather.  :)