Author Topic: Joiner Stokes of Ramsey and Glatton  (Read 2120 times)

Offline FENBOY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joiner Stokes of Ramsey and Glatton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 October 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roger and Gallium. Yes Aldwincle looks right and I have Joseph Hall married Jemima Stokes 29 May 1826. Ramsey.  Also Ramsey death Joiner Stokes 1760-1862. You have both been very helpful.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 October 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
All Saints, Aldwinckle
baptisms
20 July 1777
Joiner s/o John and Susanna Stokes

30 May 1779
William s/o John and Susanna Stokes

26 November 1780
Catherine d/o John and Susanna Stokes
7 April 1782
John s/o John and Susanna Stokes

burial
5 December 1780
Catherine d/o John and Susanna Stokes

A John Stokes married Susanna Johnson at Elton, Huntingdonshire in 1776.  I can't find a likely marriage in Northamptonshire.
The Northants Strays Marriage index entry for this marriage:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ktr/

shows that John is from Northamptonshire. The place name appears to be uncertain, but it begins with 'A'.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 October 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
Nice finds,feels like it just needs a bit of care ascribing the correct BMD to the census data.

Regards
Roger

Offline FENBOY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all you people! I live in Devon now, but am visiting my sister in Peterborough soon and will look at All Saints Aldwinckle on the way. The Johnson name is interesting too. My GG Grandmother, Sarah Stokes 1814-1839 Holme married Benjamin Slote in 1832. Their first child was called Johnson Slote! 1833-1836 born Thorney.  :)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
Just going back to Sarah(1814-1839) to make sure she fits to the pattern developing,I see that the witnesses to her marriage in 1832 are a Thomas and Maria Stokes.It seems probable that the Thomas 
is the one in the 1841 census given born 1782,residing at Holme Farm,Holme.He is on the same page as Benjamin  Slote and quite a few other Stokes "sub groups".Is there clear evidence that this Thomas is part of the family being proposed(I can't find Aldwinc(k)le data!)?Equally I can only find one Sarah with baptism circa 1814 and she doesn't appear to be the one of interest.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 17:11 BST (UK) »
It may just be coincidence,but there is a couple at Holme Farm in at least 1841 and 1851,John and Sarah Stokes,born circa 1793/1794,who look suspiciously therefore that they could have had a daughter Sarah circa 1814??

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 17:15 BST (UK) »
If relevant,there is an appropriate marriage of John Stokes to Sarah Bransum Dec 1812,Holme.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 18:14 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the more likely parents are John Stokes and Ann Johnson married in Holme in October 1811.

Regards
Roger

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
Joiner and Hannah Stokes had a daughter Sarah born 9 October 1814 and baptised at Ramsey on 30 October.  So she could be the woman who married Benjamin Slote.  However, as the marriage took place in 1832, her father's details aren't recorded in the marriage register.

Sarah Slote was buried at Holme on 2 February 1840, aged 27, which would indicate that she was born a little earlier than 1814.

A Sarah Stokes d/o John and Ann Stokes was born 12 October 1812 and baptised 25 October at Ramsey.  This couple don't seem to have had any other children baptised at Ramsey.

William and Elizabeth Stokes (mentioned earlier as parents of Jemima), had a daughter named Maria born and baptised at Ramsey in 1808, and one named Sarah in 1809 ( so probably not your Sarah).  Just to complicate matters, Elizabeth's maiden name is also Johnson. They married at Ramsey in 1801.

A couple named Thomas and Mary Stokes are  baptising children at Ramsey at around the same time. Their address is given as Holme Fen. They had a son named Thomas in 1808.  None of the other Stokes families have a Thomas, and only William and Elizabeth have a Maria. (This getting like one of those logic puzzles. Sorry)

Just seen Roger's last post.  That would make Sarah d/o John and Ann a good fit.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk