Author Topic: Edward Amos Gt Gonerby  (Read 1199 times)

Offline maggie b

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Amos Gt Gonerby
« on: Tuesday 26 September 17 14:10 BST (UK) »
I am tracing the Amos of Grantham family tree and have come to a standstill. I understand that there is an Edward Amos buried in Gt Gonerby on 24/11/1834, I assume the grave is in the graveyard of St Sebastian Church. Does anyone live near the church who would be able to try and track down the gravestone, and if it's still legible, let me know the inscription?
Thanks
Maggie B

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Amos Gt Gonerby
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 14:33 BST (UK) »
Not all families could afford a headstone - there may not be one. Have you considered contacting the churcu to find out where in the graveyard he is buried and if there is a headstone?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
The burial is recorded as Armes, rather than Amos, and there are several other people of that surname in the records of Great Gonerby.

I was wondering if this is a different family.

See also - https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=armes&GSfn=edward&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GScntry=5&GSob=n&GRid=137277040&df=all&

David

P.S. There is one Armes headstone with an image at Great Gonerby - https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=128142128&PIpi=123753308

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 15:05 BST (UK) »
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline maggie b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 13:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who have taken the time to post interesting suggestions. Amos/Armes, needs more research? Edward Amos is listed as a freeman of Grantham  who helped elect MP Simon York in 1797; also listed is John Amos the chair maker (my direct line ancestor). I have to date been unable to find any record of John Amos' birth in Lincolnshire (b.abt 1764 d.1842). Perhaps Edward is a brother, aged 66 when he died in 1834 and parents are recorded as Armes not Amos? the search continues
Maggie B

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 September 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is of any help, but this is the only John Amos I can find c1764, although 34 miles from Grantham:

John Amos
Baptism: 20 May 1764 t St Mary, Edwinstowe, Nottinghamshire
Parents: Cornelius Amos and Sarah of Clipstone

Cornelius married Sarah Wardley on 8th November 1756 at Edwinstowe, both of Clipston, Edwinstowe

David

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 September 17 12:31 BST (UK) »
From 1841 Census it appears John was not born in Lincolnshire;
John Ameys, 75, Chairmaker
Loreta Ameys, 25
Ann White, 15
Millicent Coping, 15

Although the image is hard to make out it appears all people on page not born in County have a tick next to them.
Daug Louisa (Loreta in Census) is born in County.

In case you dont have it Melicent was buried 15 May 1837 age 68

The Witnesses to Johns 1794 Marriage in Wellingore were Mary/John Everitt so no possible Family members of John.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline maggie b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 September 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks David and Trish, your suggestions and info welcome. I'm thinking John Amos the chair maker,  was born out of Lincs. possibly Notts.....so frustrating!
Maggie B

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 September 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
I had just made some notes about John being a wheelwright, and then a chairmaker, when I found this link - https://www.flickr.com/photos/72050267@N05/15669843442

Stamford Mercury 23 June 1809
To Windsor Chair-Makers
Two Journeymen wanted immediately; one who understands the Turnery and Fancy business, the other a plain Windsor Chair-maker. Good hands have good wages and constant employ of John Amos, Grantham.

Also:

Lincolnshire Chronicle 19th May 1837
Died
At Little Gonerby, on Friday last...
 Same day at Grantham, Millicent wife of Mr. John Amos, Chairmaker, age 68.

Lincolnshire Chronicle 3rd November 1837
Died
Little Gonerby, on Sunday last, Mr. Everitt Amos, son of Mr. John Amos, chairmaker, aged 31.

Stamford Mercury 6th January 1843
Married
At Grantham, on Wednesday last, (by the Rev. W. Potchett, Vicar,) Mr. W. B. Howitt, of the firm of Howitt, brothers, High Holborn, London, to Louisa youngest daughter of the late Mr. John Amos, of Grantham.

David