Author Topic: Wills - William Cryer of Hillmorton  (Read 804 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Wills - William Cryer of Hillmorton
« on: Tuesday 26 September 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
I know Wills and Admons for a lot of Warwickshire were proven at Lichfield or the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, unless they were over near Worcestershire and proven at Worcester and the PCC.  Would there be any other court level where Wills may have been proven?

I'm trying to find the Will of a William Cryer who I think may well have died at Hillmorton in 1766.  I should say there are several William Cryers in the parish and the 1767 burial has an associated Administration for that William, the two being different people.  John Cryer son of the other William Cryder died in 1789 and his Will mentions the "Last Will and Testement of my father William".  That Will doesn't appear in the Lichfield Wills on FindMyPast, the Northamptonshire Wills index or Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Wills - William Cryer of Hillmorton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
Just to give a general answer there were also Peculiar Courts but this may not apply in your case.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ksj/
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 11:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim, I don't think it will but I'll have a closer look to see if any of the surrounding parishes show up.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 September 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
Good Morning
I've had a look and you say you have looked at the 1767 Admin under Lichfield Wills.
Have you seen the 1767 Will for William Cryer also there?
William Cryer ye0man of Hillmorton.
5 acres to my son John Cryer
The message ,cottage and yard adjoining to son William
They are to pay out of their inheritance to my daughter Hannah Cryer £20 over 12 months.
To my daughter Ann Bromwich wife of William of Walford Grounds Northants 40 shillings over 4 years.
Daughter Elizabet Hart wife of John,Alice wife of Daniel and Lydia wife of Joseph Cox £4 each.The rest of my estate to my son William Cryer.
John and William junior are the Executors.
Will made 11.11.1767.

Could this be your man?

Ciderdrinker

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 September 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi ciderdrinker

No I haven't seen that Will because when I looked all the four entries for 1767 came as the Admon, the Inventory which I was assuming was for the Admon (so didn't look closely at it) and then two index page scans.  Did the Will have an Inventory before it?  I shall have to have another look because you are correct that is the Will I'm looking for. ;D  It confirms my suspicions that the children were born in Northamptonshire and then William returned to Hillmorton.

Many thanks.

Nicola

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 September 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much ciderdrinker. ;D  The Will is on the end of the inventory.  I'd wrongly assumed the inventory related to the other William Cryer's Admon and hadn't looked any further as I'm only researching the family of this William Cryer as his wife Elizabeth Darnel is a sideline on my tree. 

Mystery solved, note to oneself, in future look at the whole file in such circumstances. ::)

Shows the benefit of getting Wills and not just relying on parish registers, there is another daughter I wasn't aware of. ;D