Author Topic: Wiltshire Militia  (Read 487 times)

Offline mike222

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wiltshire Militia
« on: Tuesday 26 September 17 20:57 BST (UK) »
I am in search of a Joseph Potter who was born about 1773 in Heytesbury,Wiltshire. He was serving with the Wiltshire Militia when his daughter Lucy was born at St Gluvias in Cornwall in 1797. I wonder if anybody has any Muster Rolls or Lists that could shed a little light into Josephs time with the Militia.
Any suggestions, information would be most appreciated.

Regards

Mike

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline smh2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wiltshire Militia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
The Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre has some Indexes to the Wiltshire Militia on CD.

Steve

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mike222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve ,Many thanks for the tip on locating members of the Wiltshire Militia
regards
Mike

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 October 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike,

There were several battalions of the Wiltshire Militia. One of my ancestors served in the 1st Battalion from 1794.

The National Archives in Kew hold many muster rolls, pay books, marching and militia orders. They are in the series WO 13 and WO 5.

I was able to find the date and place of my ancestor's attestation and piece together his movements through Cornwall and Devon.

You should find this document of use http://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/Items/Military/Military%20-%20Wiltshire%20Militia%201780-1814.pdf

Justin

Offline mike222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 October 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin,
Very interesting and Helpful bit of information. I have downloaded the Militia file. I am quite surprised just how far their operations extended. Not bounded by the county but wherever the action happened to be. Often on the coast with smuggling etc. Though I did find mention of Malta.
Thank you again.
all the best
Mike