Author Topic: Looking for Grave of Beatrice E.C. Borrett in Glasgow  (Read 2772 times)

Offline CharonMoon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Grave of Beatrice E.C. Borrett in Glasgow
« on: Tuesday 26 September 17 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to find my great-grandmother's grave site in Glasgow. I have an old photo of the headstone and her death record (I got off of ScotlandsPeople), but cannot figure out how to determine where the grave is located. The death certificate stares that the registration was done in the district of Rollox in Glasgow in 1926. My best guess is that she was interred at the Sighthill Cemetery, but can't be sure.
I will be visiting the area shortly and would like to see the grave. It is a rather large cemetery, so I think it would be nearly impossible to find the grave, if it is there at all. Also I will not be there when the Mitchell library is open, so I will not be able to do research when I am there. Is there a way for me to find the place before I travel? I have tried FindAGrave, but there are very few Scottish records on it.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Grave of Beatrice E.C. Borrett in Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi CharonMoon

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

You have a hard search there for sure. You could try checking for a death notice as sometimes these can give some indication as to burial place. The Glasgow Herald can be checked here https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&hl=en  Just go the year and search by month/day Worth checking for a few days past her death date from her cert from Scotlands People.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CharonMoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi MonicaL,

Thanks! That was a really great idea! I had no idea google had such extensive newspaper records. Unfortunately I didn't find anything, but it is still really interesting to read them!

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at the Memeto-mori site ( http://www.memento-mori.co.uk/ ) who have photographed Sighthill stones but the name you have given does not appear to be listed.

You say that the death certificate was in the St Rollox District ( a pretty large area) was there an address ?

Offline CharonMoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at the Memeto-mori site ( http://www.memento-mori.co.uk/ ) who have photographed Sighthill stones but the name you have given does not appear to be listed.

You say that the death certificate was in the St Rollox District ( a pretty large area) was there an address ?

Yes, it lists her address but the script is difficult to read. It looks like 47 Queen Mary St. That appears to be in the Bridgeton area, which is where she was born. She died in a Maternity hospital, though. Not sure if that affects where the death was registered.

I have attached a photo of the grave stone, in case that helps. Unfortunately, there isn't much else in the photo to indicate where it is, unless the numbers at the bottom of the stone mean something.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
At that time period the death had to be registered in the area where it happened but I believe it is more likely that she is buried in the East End area of the City rather than Sighthill ... People tended to be buried in areas associated with the family rather than where the actual death took place. The ones that spring to mind are the Eastern Necropolis or the Old Dalbeth Cemetery -
The other point is unfortunately a curse of the West of Scotland - Religion - and would also have a bearing upon which cemetery was used.

Its possible that the numbers on the left of the bottom section refer to the Lair number and its location i.e.  Area R lair number 885

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 19:32 BST (UK) »
I've checked Memento-Mori website lists for Janefield cemetery ( Eastern Necropolis) and St Peters RC Cemetery with no trace of the lady in their lists.

Looking at the photograph - the houses in the background are more like those in the Eastern area of London Road rather than Sighthill or those closer to the City Centre where there were mostly taller tenements.
Another minor fly in the ointment is the stonemason whose details are marked on the bottom right of the base refer to one from just south of the river rather than a more local company (possibly has absolutely nothing to do with things and is just a weird coincidence )

Offline CharonMoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
If the R-895 is the lair number, then I can narrow it down a bit by looking at cemetery maps. Sandymount, Old Eastwood, Craighton, and the Western Necropolis. All have a Section R. I can't find a map for Old Dalbeth.

Unfortunately, I do not know her religion. All I know is that my grandfather (her son) converted to Catholicism when he married my grandmother. So, I just know it wasn't Catholic. And unfortunately, my grandfather passed when my mother was very young, so she never got to ask him about his family history. :( Everything we know is what we could find in government records.

Offline CharonMoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
UPDATE: I found the marriage record for both of her weddings and they were both performed "under the forms of the Congressional Union Church."

Does this help?