Author Topic: Brodies in Tipperary  (Read 1018 times)

Offline PeterProg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brodies in Tipperary
« on: Wednesday 27 September 17 03:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am researching a distant forebear who had what might be referred to as a 'colourful' life in the first decades of last century.  Not to put too fine a point on it, he was a petty fraudster.  His daughter may possibly have been in league with him in the same line of business.  They operated mainly in the South of England, Wales and France. As far as I know, they were not active in Ireland.

However, at various times over the years, when police interest in their activities in England got a little uncomfortable,  they were apt to 'disappear' and reappear in a different location with a slightly different name.  I have found them a few times living in different parts of England under different names.

They were pretty good at covering their tracks, but I have good reason to believe that one or more family members may have lived in Tipperary at some stage between the years 1917 and 1924.  I know that they were all living back in England by mid-1924.

Some years after this timeframe, I have seen documentation where the daughter claimed to have been born in Tipperary - though I know for a fact that she was born in Australia. 

And at another stage, the father claimed to have been born in Clonmel, but again I know that he was born in Australia.

Almost certainly they would have been using the surname 'Brodie' when living in Tipperary or the surrounding area in this period 1917 to 1924.

I would be most grateful for any suggestions on resources that might be available where I could check for any Brodies living in the Tipperary area in the years 1917-1924.  I don't think there are any census resources that would help, I'm thinking perhaps of street directories, rent books or any other evidence of a person or persons living in the area with that name at this time.

Many thanks
Peter

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Brodies in Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
A challenge. But, Brodie or Brodies in Tipperary..... only in 1901 a family of Brodie show up.
They were in Spital Street, Tipperary town.
It would help if you gave some Christian names, please.
Maggsie

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 16:12 BST (UK) »
Don't rule out Briody families.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline PeterProg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 September 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for your responses. Yes, they are a challenge for sure!

They were definitely in London at the time of the 1901 census.

As to Christian names, Brodie senior was almost always Arthur by this time. (He had been James earlier.)  His wife was consistently Emily.

The daughter is the most flexible.  She was born Emily May, but was generally referred to as May.  She was certainly May Brodie in London in 1917.  But when she next appears in England in 1924, getting married, she is Concha Marguerite de Courcy Brodie.  It was in the 1930s that she claimed to have been born in Tipperary.

The senior Brodies were born in the early to mid-1870s, and May in the mid-1890s, all in Australia.  Her actual birth year was 1894, though I have seen it represented as late as 1902 in some sources.

A very flexible family to be sure!