Author Topic: Missing family after 1881 - PARKINS  (Read 6271 times)

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Missing family after 1881 - PARKINS
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 September 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
Just to mention ages on Death in the new GRO index can be incorrect i.e. 15 years when it should be 15 months.

Crosscheck where you can against FreeBMD

Edited
FreeBMD
PARKINS    William Charles    1    Newcastle On Tyne    10b   75
Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 September 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
Ah, that's good to know - so it is the right one. Thanks, Mick.
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 September 17 09:39 BST (UK) »
I do love a puzzle.  Just to add that I think Elizabeth Moodie was still alive in 1891 and living with son Thomas in Govan - However she is mistranscribed on Anc as being only 18!!

Elizabeth Moodie 18 b IrelandMother
Thomas Moodie    son 27 b Ayr, Ayrshire

Kay

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 September 17 09:51 BST (UK) »
Great find - it's a wonder we ever find anything on Ancestry with mistranscriptions like this.

I love a good puzzle too - especially when all the missing pieces eventually turn up. :-)

Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 October 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Never one to shy away from a challenge  ;D ;D

Linked to this, and your other thread: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=780621.0

Your Margaret McWatt Moodie has been a bit tricky to track down, but I think I may have pieced it together.

Let’s start with her mother, Elizabeth Cook. Elizabeth Cook was born about 1824 probably in Ireland (although she variously appears as Ireland, Barrhead or Paisley in subsequent censuses) to John Cook and Margaret McWatt. She’s in Neilston, Renfrewshire in 1841 with her parents. She marries William Moodie, calico printer from Barrhead, in 1845 in Neilston. Margaret McWatt Moodie is born in Barrhead in December 1846, and baptised in Neilston in May 1847.

William Moodie must have died shortly after that, as some time before 1851, Elizabeth Cook marries again to David Brown, a French polisher - although I can’t find a marriage.  The family are in Paisley in 1851 with three children, all enumerated as Brown. I’m pretty sure Margaret is Margaret McWatt Moodie, and I have a feeling John may also be the son of William Moodie, but I can’t find a baptism record to back that up.

1851:
27 Queen St, Paisley
David Brown, Head, 26, French Polisher, Renfrewshire - Paisley            
Elizabeth Brown, Wife, 26, Renfrewshire - Barrhead
Margret Brown, Dau, 4, Renfrewshire - Barrhead        
John Brown, Son, 2, Renfrewshire - Barrhead            
Mathew Brown, 3m, Renfrewshire - Paisley

By 1861, the family are in Edinburgh:

1861:
10 Old Fish Market Close
David Brown, 37, warehouseman,  Paisley, Renfrewshire
Elizabeth Brown, 36, Paisley, Renfrewshire
Margaret Brown, 13, Paisley, Renfrewshire
John Brown, 12, Paisley, Renfrewshire
Mathew Brown, 9, Paisley, Renfrewshire
Elizabeth Brown, 6, Paisley, Renfrewshire
Robert Brown, 5, Edinburgh

1871:
53 Thistle St
David Brown, 46, unemployed labourer, Paisley Renfrewshire
Elizabeth Brown, 46, Ruthven, Perthshire (sic)
Robert Brown, 13, Edinburgh
David Brown, 8, Edinburgh

Mathew Brown is lodging in Potterow. David Brown snr died in Edinburgh in December 1871. The couple had two other children registered in Edinburgh: James Brown, b. 1857, d. 1858; and Agnes Pearson Brown, b. 1866 d. 1868.

Elizabeth Cook remarried again in 1884 in Edinburgh to Michael Riley. She died in 1898 in Edinburgh. Her death was registered by her son, Mathew Brown and she is listed as the widow of David Brown and Michael Riley - no mention of William Moodie.

Margaret married as Margaret Moodie in Edinburgh in 1867 to James Millar. On her marriage record, her father’s name is recorded as James Moodie, but her mother is recorded as Elizabeth Brown, previously Moodie (ms Cook), so I’m pretty confident it’s her. The couple had at least 7 children, all born in Edinburgh: Thomas, James, John, David, Margaret, Alexander and Robert. Haven’t been able to track down a death for Margaret though.

As a postscript - the parish record for the proclamation of the marriage of William Moodie and Elizabeth Cook in Neilston states that there were three objections recorded: 1. William Moodie had already promised to marry one Ann Houston of Paisley; 2. On the faith of that promise, he was co-habiting with Ann Houston; and 3. Said Ann Houston was pregnant with his child.  :o :o :o

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 October 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
Margaret Miller or Moodie died in Springburn, Glasgow in 1924 age 77 (644/6 280) From Scotlandspeople index.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 October 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
Margaret Miller or Moodie died in Springburn, Glasgow in 1924 age 77 (644/6 280) From Scotlandspeople index.

Yes, I thought that would be her too - but sadly not  :-\ This Margaret Miller was the widow of Daniel Miller, and her parents are given as Andrew Moodie and Margaret Turner...

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 October 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
Margaret married as Margaret Moodie in Edinburgh in 1867 to James Millar. On her marriage record, her father’s name is recorded as James Moodie, but her mother is recorded as Elizabeth Brown, previously Moodie (ms Cook), so I’m pretty confident it’s her. The couple had at least 7 children, all born in Edinburgh: Thomas, James, John, David, Margaret, Alexander and Robert.

Hmm - think I had the wrong Millar family there, but I do think I've now found James Millar and Margaret Moodie in 1871:

Glasgow Barony
James Millar, 26, plumber, Edinburgh, head
Margaret Millar, 26, Barrhead, Renfrewshire, wife
Alexander Millar, 1, Edinburgh, son
John Brown Moodie, 23, upholsterer, Barrhead, Renfrewshire, brother

John Brown Moodie is, indeed, interesting - he's been enumerated as 'brother', but he's almost certainly Margaret Moodie's brother, rather than James Millar's ;D

Having trouble finding the family beyond 1871 though...

Ruth

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 October 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
41 St Mary Street, Edinburgh
James Millar, 34, plumber, Edinburgh
Margaret Millar, 31 (sic), Barrhead
Alexander Millar, 12, Edinburgh
David Millar, 6, Glasgow
John Millar, 4, Durham

They seem to be moving about a bit...

Ruth