Author Topic: a question of tulips  (Read 1617 times)

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
Re: a question of tulips
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 September 17 05:51 BST (UK) »
Thankyou  eveyrbody so much for having a look

Special thanks to arthurk for getting the correct transcription and sending my search in a different direction.

I found the following in "Pronouncing Shakespeare's Words: A Guide from A to Zounds"

I did a online search in the Shropshire archives and found a single reference from 1739 to the Russells Britch (formerly in 2 parts) formerly occupied by Francis Butter.

So the mystery is solved
Brian
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 September 17 14:11 BST (UK) »
Just as a footnote, I've had a bit more fun looking into this.

First, here's a list of field names in Cheswardine, which includes Russell's Breach and variations:
http://placenames.org.uk/browse/minor/epns-deep-82-b-subparish-000053/12012

Second, the name is found in the tithe maps and associated documents at The Genealogist. It's a bit of a trek trying to pin it down, but the landowner was Thomas Parsons, and the plots are numbered 1049, 1050 and 1051. (The collection includes a document which mentions that Russells Breech and Russells Breech Coppice were formerly known as the two Russels Britches - with The Genealogist's image viewer, this one is Piece 29, Sub-Piece 072, Image 045.)

Having located those plots on the tithe map, it's possible to show you exactly where it was/is:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=52.8663&lon=-2.4294&layers=176&right=BingHyb

Russell's Breech Coppice is the triangular wood in the middle of this map; Russell's Breech Meadow was the field as marked on the old (LH) map on its NE side, and Russell's Breech was a roughly square field on its SE side, stretching as far as the current field with lines of mown hay in it. (This field has been merged with others so its NE and SW boundaries have disappeared.)

Enjoy!
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 September 17 15:10 BST (UK) »
That's a very satisfying conclusion and an interesting journey from tulips, via Jack Russell terriers to a piece of land in Shropshire  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 September 17 15:36 BST (UK) »
Don't forget the corded woollen fabric! In fact I looked into that a bit last night but references to Russell cord seemed a bit too recent. Russel Satin (aka Norwich Satin) fitted the date better - but before I could write any of that, the field had won.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 September 17 15:51 BST (UK) »
Great detective work arthurk, nice to see the nls maps coming into their own again.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 September 17 01:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks arthurk for the extra research. It is fascinating. I have not investigated the resources of the Genealogist before. Maybe I should. I love a good map.

Brian
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 September 17 02:27 BST (UK) »
That's a very satisfying conclusion and an interesting journey from tulips, via Jack Russell terriers to a piece of land in Shropshire  ;D

Isn't it just!

I will be honest...

I looked at the 'Subject' heading & only because I like Tulips I was curious  :D

What a fascinating journey & great work esp. Arthurk!

I learn an enormous amount on RC.

If I were in school that wouldn't have interested me because things were too factual & I have a curious mind.
Threads here give an insight as to how people perceive things differently, how info. is found & conclusions made from different words/scenarios which make something which seems questionable or boring so much more interesting having delved into. possibilities to reach a likely & sensible explanation.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 September 17 08:41 BST (UK) »
I'm late to the party, but here's an 1831 ad for a sale of a farm that has a lot of same field names that was on arthurk's link. I'm just throwing it out there in case it IS the same farm, and it might help with other name places in the will.

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 September 17 15:17 BST (UK) »
A most excellant find. bbart

Yes, I believe this is the same land. I recall a piece of land called the birches, but the other pieces I have not come across, yet.

Brian