Author Topic: William CAMPBELL - LOOKUP Request  (Read 4257 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William CAMPBELL - LOOKUP Request
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 September 17 23:40 BST (UK) »
As I mentioned above - it's a common name and without confirmation of his parentage from his death cert - how would you pinpoint the right baptism?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 September 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
Looks like they used the Scottish naming pattern if this is William...

CAMPBELL WILLIAM
PETER CAMPBELL/ANN REID FR383
01/04/1811
568/10 497
Kilbarchan

1st son named Peter & 2nd dau named Ann

You will notice Richard has a middle name REID which is a good indicator too.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 28 September 17 23:59 BST (UK) »
I don't know where all those children lived. And I haven't went through the census records at all, primarily because of cost at the moment.

Have you tried www.freecen.org.uk

It would at least show you where they lived if they are recorded on that site as it doesn't hold all Scottish census' although the 1841 is there in full (the only one).

People don't always die at home or in the area they lived.

I knew someone who died abroad on holiday but I'm sure in years to come his descendants would expect him to have died in his home town of which he'd been resident for decades (40+ yrs) although not born there.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 September 17 00:17 BST (UK) »
Tony,

You didn't state Ann's parents but you obviously know who they were as you have her baptism, were they William & Euphemia?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 September 17 01:48 BST (UK) »
"Ann Reid was born on the 14th April 1811 in Boghall, Lanarkshire"

I have searched high & low with every denomination & as I have no idea which Parish 'Boghall' would be, I couldn't find a likely in the whole of Lanarkshire with every variant Reid/Ried/Reed/Read & ditto for the whole of Scotland  ???

Where did you find Ann's birth?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 September 17 03:43 BST (UK) »
On the assumption of the naming pattern & hopefully confirmed with a DC for William this looks to be siblings?...

CAMPBELL JAMES  - PETER CAMPBELL/ANN REID (FR366) 27/10/1801
568/10 463 Kilbarchan

Big gap here i.e. possibly 2 others born/stillborn?

CAMPBELL JOHN - PETER CAMPBELL/ANN REID (FR375) 01/12/1807
568/10 482 Kilbarchan

CAMPBELL PETER - PETER CAMPBELL/ANN REID (FR380) 15/03/1809
568/10 491 Kilbarchan

CAMPBELL WILLIAM - PETER CAMPBELL/ANN REID (FR383) 01/04/1811
568/10 497 Kilbarchan (Hopefully this can be confirmed as yours)

CAMPBELL COLIN - PETER CAMPBELL/ANN REID (FR385) 16/03/1813
568/10 502 Kilbarchan

CAMPBELL ROBERT - PETER CAMPBELL/ANN REID (FR389) 10/04/1815
568/10 510 Kilbarchan

CAMPBELL ARCHIBALD - PETER CAMPBELL/ANN REID (FR393) 28/03/1817
568/10 517 Kilbarchan

CAMPBELL ANN - PETER CAMPBELL/ANN REID (FR587) 31/03/1820
568/30 5 Kilbarchan

There are others who look like they may be related too.

Annie

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 September 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
Very good research Annie! Thanks for your time. I think we'll need to confirm birth with getting his DC. The trouble with the Reid connection you point out, is that his wife was Ann REID. I'd assumed Richard Reid Campbell was named for her surname.

She was indeed the daughter of Euphemia Marylees and William Reid. I confirmed via DC's and birth records and marriage records. Euphemia lived to ripe old age (91 years - people didn't all die young, even in those days) dying in 1869, so this allowed me to see who her own parents were. Their names were John Merrylies and Elizabeth Lightbody. But that's another section of research.

I'll have a further look when I've got more free time.

Thanks again,

Anthony

Offline marywoodbine

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 08 April 19 17:59 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any informatin on William Campbell's daughter Euphemia's daughter, Margaret Taylor who married Alexander Drummond on 30 April 1913?

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 01 September 19 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary Woodbine,

I do have some information on her, I wonder how you connect with this woman? She was born 05 April 1878, at 70 Suffolk Street, Kinning Park, Glasgow. She died 27 May 1913 at 11 Palin Street, Cowcaddens, Glasgow. This property then passed to her sister Annie Reid Taylor, who was married to James McLuckie. I am their descendant. Or, alternatively, they were in the same "close" of a tenement so had the same address? The marriage seems to have been one of some tragedy, and I expect it may have been contracted in full knowledge of her imminant passing. Her cause of death is given as "Ulceration of the Palate, Pharynx and Larnyx" along with "Septic Pneumonia". Pretty horrific set of medical issues.

Her husband Alexander Drummond passed on 08 September 1926 aged 53 at the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow. His cause of death oesophagal cancer. By that time he had re-married to Eliza Niven Neilson Gregor, born about 1878 and died 20 September 1942 at the Southern General Hospital, Glasgow from cancer. I note on the marriage certificate of Alexander and Margaret, he is listed as "Formerly married" though this mysterious first wife isn't given on his death certificate, I expect a nasty divorce maybe? She was apparently still alive as "Widowed" would have been written otherwise.

Eliza too had been married previously to a man of surname "Meechan" or "Meehan". I expect that marriage was contracted elsewhere, because I can't find a record for it in Scotland. It's an Irish surname, maybe it was out there? No idea if this was separation or divorce.

So are you connected? If you have any photographs it'd be amazing. I have a photograph of Annie Reid Taylor and her husband James McLuckie, which you might be interested in if you are interested in Margaret Taylor.

Best Wishes,

Anthony