Author Topic: Agnes MEIKLE marr Archibald DAVIDSON bef. she married James BROWN?  (Read 5891 times)

Offline jkhansen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes MEIKLE marr Archibald DAVIDSON bef. she married James BROWN?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 October 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
I have also come across some information regarding James Meikle son of David Meikle and Agnes Dick. I found a death notice in 1887 in the Fife Herald for Catherine Foote described as widow of the late James Meikle, Alloa Ferry. Also a death notice in1903 for David Meikle son of late James Meikle, Manager Alloa Ferry. James Meikle ( mother's maiden name Dick) died in 1856 in Alloa, age 36. He had married Catherine Foote in 1849 ( Alloa/Perth). In 1851 James and Catherine are in Alloa and James is described as Alloa Ferry Boatman.
Isobel

Thanks Isobel and such a lot you have found out abt part this family and very interesting David's Merchant navy record. I daresay that Thomas (b. i1815/my line) and brother William (b. 1798) would have a similar merchant navy record?
Interesting  to read that David Meikle was born at Corstorphine  as written in my papers that all 3 brothers were born in Linlithgow /Abercorn East Lothian.

Was there more information about Agnes Meikle nee Dick, their mother? Believed she died in 1851/ 1861  - Abercorn.

Was there some of accident that James Meikle died so young at the age of 36 in 1856? (His last child b. in 1855).

So many questions and wondering if should start a new topic?
Once again thanks for your help esp of ferry condition etc and I think my gr,gr, gr. grandma overheard those tales - Alloa  unsure where the story of sailing to Glasgow may have come from. I doubt the ferry boats were fit for anything more than a short river crossing.
- Jean

Angus County Scotland, Ford, Meikle, Pullar
Caven County, Ireland - Crosby, Kirr
England: Hodson(Bristol) and Flooks
NZ - Ford, Hodson, Sutton
Canada, USA, Denmark ..

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 October 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
Abercorn and Linlithgow are actually in West Lothian.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline jkhansen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
Think this may be David Meikle's merchant navy record ( from Findmypast)

I don't think this David Meikle is part of my family (would be great) as he was born abt 1778-1800 in Linlithgow, Linlithgow - need to know who his next of kin was? I have not heard of any family members born at Corstorphine, Edinburgh.
I have also come across some information regarding James Meikle son of David Meikle and Agnes Dick. I found a death notice in 1887 in the Fife Herald for Catherine Foote described as widow of the late James Meikle, Alloa Ferry. Also a death notice in1903 for David Meikle son of late James Meikle, Manager Alloa Ferry. James Meikle ( mother's maiden name Dick) died in 1856 in Alloa, age 36. He had married Catherine Foote in 1849 ( Alloa/Perth). In 1851 James and Catherine are in Alloa and James is described as Alloa Ferry Boatman.
Isobel

Was there some of accident that James Meikle died so young at the age of 36 in 1856? (His last child b. in 1855). How can I get a copy of these dealth notices?

So many questions and wondering if should start a new topic?
Once again thanks for your help esp of ferry condition etc and I think my gr,gr, gr. grandma overheard those tales - Alloa  unsure where the story of sailing to Glasgow may have come from. I doubt the ferry boats were fit for anything more than a short river crossing.
- Jean

Angus County Scotland, Ford, Meikle, Pullar
Caven County, Ireland - Crosby, Kirr
England: Hodson(Bristol) and Flooks
NZ - Ford, Hodson, Sutton
Canada, USA, Denmark ..

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 21:20 BST (UK) »
Both William ( b 1798 Linlithgow) and David ( b 1800 Linlithgow) married women with the surname Bryce ( William married Mary and David married Jane). Not sure if they were sisters. Both women were living within a couple of doors of one another in South Leith in 1841 minus husbands. Jane is described as wife of a seaman at sea. Mary has nothing against her name but I suspect her husband William was also a seaman.
I hit on the David Meikle b Corstorphine because there are lots of family links with Dalmeny/South Queensferry, which are adjacent parishes to Corstorphine and your David did end up in Leith.As you say, birth year is slightly out and your David was born in Linlithgow so maybe not him.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 October 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
No info given as to her birthyear - in 1851 she is 23 so born approx 1828/29
Actually 1827/1828 if 23 is accurate.

Also - 1847 marriage would show her as a widow and she would re-marry under her previous married name
Not necessarily. Before the start of statutory registration in 1855 it was common for a widow to remarry under her maiden name, and sometimes the marriage record does not say that she is a widow, never mind what her deceased husband's name is.

This is one from my own tree: 1834, 26th June. James Hay merchant in Arbroath and Margaret Sang, widow, residing in Timber Market in this parish were contracted in order to marriage and having been regularly proclaimed were married the 30th June. [Brechin Parish Register] Also 1834. Contracted May 27, James Hay merchant in Arbroath and Margaret Sang in Brechin. Married June 30. [Arbroath Parish Register] Margaret's parents were Alexander Sang and Margaret Mill, and her first husband was Andrew Watt, a sergeant in the Royal Artillery.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.