Author Topic: Agnes MEIKLE marr Archibald DAVIDSON bef. she married James BROWN?  (Read 5942 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes MEIKLE marr Archibald DAVIDSON bef. she married James BROWN?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 September 17 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean

Have you got Thomas and Catherine in 1841?

FreeCen have them as:

Thomas Meikle 20 b. Scotland
Cathrine Meikle 25 b. Scotland
John Meikle 3
Janet Meikle 1
Isabella Fife 15 female servant b. Scotland

Address: Forth Street, Alloa

The transcriber has Thomas' occupation as:Faxman and remarks: Occ: uncertain, Alloa Ferry crossed out

Janet is showing also as aged 1 so certlainly looks to have been born in 1840 in Clamannanshire.

Monica

Added: Such a well researched line  :) See you have the above info already from here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=563739.0
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 September 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
Thomas is described as a Tayman Alloa Ferry ( 1851) and Faxman ( 1841). I think he was a Tacksman( or Taxman). If you Google Ferry Tacksman you will find some background. It would appear that Thomas leased the rights to provide a ferry service between Alloa and South Alloa, which lay on opposite banks of the Forth. From reading newspapers of the time he appears to have been a lessee of the Scottish Central Railway Co ( who ran the Glasgow to Edinburgh Line). They were competitors to the Stirling and District Railway which was opened in the early 1850's and had a link into Alloa Ferry. In 1852 the lease for the ferry was taken over by James Falshaw ( later Sir James Falshaw) who was a Railway engineer involved in many of the major railway projects of the time. He immediately had a new steamship built and introduced to the crossing.Prior to the opening of the Stirling line the ferry had been very busy but by 1855 the railways had taken most of the traffic and the railway company seems to have bought the lease back from Falshaw and introduced a much reduced ferry provision, much to the annoyance of the local community.
South Alloa appears to have been quite a busy port for a while with ships favouring it over Glasgow because it was cheaper to berth there and had good rail links.
I have attached a newspaper notice from 1853 describing Thomas as 'late of Alloa Ferry'. Also a description of the ferry service in 1851.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 September 17 22:37 BST (UK) »
Another reference to Thomas which describes him as a Taxman

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 September 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
Great background there, Isobel  :)

Monica

Offline jkhansen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 September 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica - I have Thomas and Catherine's Census information from 1841. Can one go further back than 1841?

Isobel - these newspapers gives me a little more insight of the family (Thomas Meikle) and ferry service. We understood in NZ that Thomas, his brother William and David Meikle worked as engineers but have no proof of their education. They ended up working in a timber mill and did well farming.  Janet (Thomas' daughter) remembers her Dad had owned his own ship for passengers and vehicles, (in those days)? and talked about her father's trip as he sailed from Edinburgh to Glasgow and near Dumbarton.

Are newspapers clipping from the Stirling Observer? I don't have access to it and have Google Ferry Tacksman with not too much success.

Once again, thanks for your help.
- Jean
Angus County Scotland, Ford, Meikle, Pullar
Caven County, Ireland - Crosby, Kirr
England: Hodson(Bristol) and Flooks
NZ - Ford, Hodson, Sutton
Canada, USA, Denmark ..

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 September 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
Jean, unfortunately, the 1841 census in Scotland is the first of use for genealogy research.

Monica

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 September 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Thomas Meikle's ship would have ferried passengers and vehicles across the River Forth between Alloa and South Alloa. Before the Railway came to the north bank of the Forth in the early 1850's the ferry was very busy as it took passengers across the Forth to link to the train line between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Thomas gave up his lease on the ferry in 1852. Having done further digging it would appear that his landlord was actually the local landowner, the Earl of Mar. Thomas may have been astute enough to realise that once there was a rail link on the north of the Forth the need for the ferry link would all but disappear. It also seems apparent that a substantial amount of investment was needed to bring the existing service up to an acceptable standard. I am attaching an advert that appeared in 1861 when the lease was being re- offered and I assume a similar advert attracted James Falshaw in 1852. He seems to have been backed by the Central Railway Co who ran the Edinburgh/Glasgow line through South Alloa. He introduced a brand new steamship 'The Jane' and it was noted that the old boats plying the service had been condemned. By 1855 it was obvious to the Central Railway co that the ferry was losing money and they seem to have bought out James Falshaw and taken over the running of the service themselves. By 1861 the lease is being offered out again to interested parties. Alloa has no direct links by water to Glasgow/ Dumbarton other than by sailing right round the northern coastline of Scotland, so I am unsure where the story of sailing to Glasgow may have come from. I doubt the ferry boats were fit for anything more than a short river crossing.
I think I have found Jane nee Bryce in leith in 1841 and 1851 on Freecen( can't find a matching record on Ancestry). The 1841 indicates that her husband is a seaman. He is absent in both census. In 1851 she has a two year old grandson James Brown living with her.
I have also come across some information regarding James Meikle son of David Meikle and Agnes Dick. I found a death notice in 1887 in the Fife Herald for Catherine Foote described as widow of the late James Meikle, Alloa Ferry. Also a death notice in1903 for David Meikle son of late James Meikle, Manager Alloa Ferry. James Meikle ( mother's maiden name Dick) died in 1856 in Alloa, age 36. He had married Catherine Foote in 1849 ( Alloa/Perth). In 1851 James and Catherine are in Alloa and James is described as Alloa Ferry Boatman.
Isobel

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 September 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
Ferry lease advert

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 September 17 22:27 BST (UK) »
Think this may be David Meikle's merchant navy record ( from Findmypast)