Author Topic: John Johnston & Darnie Comb (Coombe)  (Read 1527 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Johnston & Darnie Comb (Coombe)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 October 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

From the Scotsman of 17 October 1881, reported the following deaths, I should point out the language is quite gory to say the least,

" About midday, a body, much mangled, came ashore at the "Wood Bush", half a mile to the East of the old harbour. It proved to be that of John Johnstone (sic), 37, skipper of the Newhaven pilot-boat Concord, which left Dunbar on Friday in search of ships. The body was identified by Robt. Combe, father-in-law of the deceased, a frail old man, belonging to Newhaven, Johnston had bound himself to the boat, but the rope seems to have been snapped during the storm. He leaves a widow and six children; while his brother, Peter 34, leaves a widow and two children; the third brother James who was in the boat being 21 years of age and unmarried."

I have typed in full because on the following website the names are somewhat different, although seems to prove John married a Combe, father-i-law identified his body.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ku7/

CONCORD,of Newhaven

JOHN JOHNSTON   37   
JAMES JOHNSTON   30   
WILLIAM JOHNSTON   23   

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 October 17 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

I have looked at another article in the same edition of the Scotsman of 17 October 1881, under the heading, Newhaven - Supposed Loss of 17 men.

" The pilot-boat Concord which was swamped off Dunbar on Friday had a crew of 3 hands- viz. John Johnston, 38, skipper who leaves a widow and 6 children. James Johnson 30, who leaves a widow and 3 children; and Walter 23, a younger brother, unmarried."

I can see deaths in Scotland Peoples website, of a John Johnston 37, James Johnston 31 and Walter Johnston 24 all in Leith North parish, so I am more confident of these names. I did not print out the certificates.

Tom Buchanan
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 October 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
Excellent find Tidybooks.  As per reply 4 - Robert Combe was Darnie's father. 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Danette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 October 17 19:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tidybooks, what absolutely wonderful (sad but wonderful) information! I really appreciate it!  :D