Author Topic: John Johnston & Darnie Comb (Coombe)  (Read 835 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Johnston & Darnie Comb (Coombe)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 October 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

From the Scotsman of 17 October 1881, reported the following deaths, I should point out the language is quite gory to say the least,

" About midday, a body, much mangled, came ashore at the "Wood Bush", half a mile to the East of the old harbour. It proved to be that of John Johnstone (sic), 37, skipper of the Newhaven pilot-boat Concord, which left Dunbar on Friday in search of ships. The body was identified by Robt. Combe, father-in-law of the deceased, a frail old man, belonging to Newhaven, Johnston had bound himself to the boat, but the rope seems to have been snapped during the storm. He leaves a widow and six children; while his brother, Peter 34, leaves a widow and two children; the third brother James who was in the boat being 21 years of age and unmarried."

I have typed in full because on the following website the names are somewhat different, although seems to prove John married a Combe, father-i-law identified his body.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ku7/

CONCORD,of Newhaven

JOHN JOHNSTON   37   
JAMES JOHNSTON   30   
WILLIAM JOHNSTON   23   

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 October 17 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

I have looked at another article in the same edition of the Scotsman of 17 October 1881, under the heading, Newhaven - Supposed Loss of 17 men.

" The pilot-boat Concord which was swamped off Dunbar on Friday had a crew of 3 hands- viz. John Johnston, 38, skipper who leaves a widow and 6 children. James Johnson 30, who leaves a widow and 3 children; and Walter 23, a younger brother, unmarried."

I can see deaths in Scotland Peoples website, of a John Johnston 37, James Johnston 31 and Walter Johnston 24 all in Leith North parish, so I am more confident of these names. I did not print out the certificates.

Tom Buchanan
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 October 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
Excellent find Tidybooks.  As per reply 4 - Robert Combe was Darnie's father. 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Danette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 October 17 19:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tidybooks, what absolutely wonderful (sad but wonderful) information! I really appreciate it!  :D