Author Topic: Ontario photo studios - what happens to the files, visit cards and negatives.  (Read 558 times)

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ontario photo studios - what happens to the files, visit cards and negatives.
« on: Wednesday 27 September 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know what happens to the files, visit cards and negatives of photographers/photo studios (from 1850-1920s) when they close (retire, go out of business...)?  For example, the McCord Museum Archives has the Notman & Sons of Montreal collection.  Does anyone know of a book or a list indicating where the files went?

Photographers and photo studios I am interested in are:

Toronto, ON:
The Toronto Dominion Gallery, 145 King St. E.
D.C. Butchart
St. Lawrence Studio, D.C. Ferguson, St. Lawrence Hall
Electric Photo Gallery, King and Younge Streets
Notman & Fraser
J.W. Rupert
C.S. Kilner
The T. Eaton Co. Ltd., 190 Younge St.
Hunter & Co. (late Ewing & Co.), 39 and 41 King St.
W. O'Connor, 63 King St. E (I think the street number is 63, hard to read clearly)
Gagnon & Fraser, 79 King St.

J.A. Brock & Co., 279 Front St., Belleville, ON
Allan & Bro., King St., St. Catherine, ON
Esson, 113 Queen St., Preston, ON

Thank you.
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ontario photo studios - what happens to the files, visit cards and negatives.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 23:44 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Ontario Archives?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ontario photo studios - what happens to the files, visit cards and negatives.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 September 17 01:36 BST (UK) »
Yes I have.  I have even tried the Toronto Archives.  Well at least I've tried an online catalogue search for both places with no returns. 
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 September 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
As far as your question is concerned, the negs (large format) usually get tossed/destroyed when a photographer dies unless the family decides to keep them.  Only those who have/had a high profile are retained or donated.  Commercial Studios (catalogues) are usually passed on by the client to their.

Some, such as Eaton's and other large catalogue retailers used large commercial in-house facilities who did everything from design/layout/photography/catalogue printing.  Toronto had two of these facilities both are long gone. 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada