Author Topic: Correction to the 1939 register.  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Correction to the 1939 register.
« on: Thursday 28 September 17 00:02 BST (UK) »
When the register first came out I could not find my family.  I entered the details every now and again without success. In August 2016 I asked for help on Rootschat and mosiefish and others came up with the answer. I had been searching for my Bownass family and the original had been transcribed as Boroness, the writing on the original register was not clear.
There were however more mistakes as somehow two families had been mixed up. The household was named as the Burnett household, Mr Burnett being the last entry of the next door neighbours house. Another twist was that my mother was missing from the transcription and each entry was mixed up with the line above, for example, at the time I was 3 years old, but I have been entered as being in my 30s and a domestic science teacher. I understood that living people would not be shown on the register, but I am still very much alive.
I tried to correct the mistakes but there were so many, so some have been corrected but others not. After sending many corrections and not getting anywhere, I sent them a true transcription of our family entry. This was acknowledged on the 15th June, 2017 and I was told it should be sorted out within 90 days.
On the 11th September, which is over the 90 days, I checked again and nothing had been done. I sent them another email to remind them I was still waiting for a corrected transcription. I received an answer which assured me they would look again into the entry.
It is now over a fortnight later and still nothing has been done.
Has anybody else had problems? How can I get this sorted?
I do hope nobody is trying to complete a family tree with all this wrong information.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Correction to the 1939 register.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 September 17 00:28 BST (UK) »
I have repeatedly reported a correction;  a neighbour transcribed as liviing with my grandfather and his family. The image is clear so have no idea why they are ignoring it!

About a year ago I sent a death certificate for an entry to be opened......they opened his sister's instead.....and she is still living.  That took some time for them to correct.

I've even tried "Live Chat"...........they make all the right noises but.....nothing!

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 September 17 01:11 BST (UK) »
the time I was 3 years old, but I have been entered as being in my 30s and a domestic science teacher. I understood that living people would not be shown on the register, but I am still very much alive.

Hi,
If you want your record closed and they haven't done anything about it in all that time ,you could try taking it further by putting a complaint in (or ask for advice) to the Information Commission office
https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/make-a-complaint

https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
 https://ico.org.uk/concerns/handling/
They have a help line (and an online chat portal )where you can ask them for advice.You can also fill out the complaint form and send it in via email with the supporting documents (such as the dated emails)

https://ico.org.uk/ESDWebPages/DoSearch

If you don't want to go down the complaint route, maybe in your next email to FindMyPast you could tell them you want your record closed or you'll take it to the ICO, it maybe enough to make them shift their derrieres .
Kind Regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 September 17 01:25 BST (UK) »
Is this FindMyPast? I once found a load of christenings that they'd indexed as burials (image clear as day!) and sent in a correction about it. I later was reviewing my research and found that they had changed nothing, so sent in another comment about it. I might consider checking again except that if they've still ignored it I'll have annoyed myself finding out about it.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 September 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
Sounds as if they have paid off all the transcription staff, and are sitting back watching the enquiry fees roll in ....
Or else there are so many errors they just can't keep up  8)
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 September 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
    I suppose they would say they do not have time, but it would be good to know if corrections are not done because they are not justified by the original.
    There do seem to be quite a few instances in the 1939 of people still living whose record has been opened - one of my neighbours for instance!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 October 17 13:42 BST (UK) »
    I suppose they would say they do not have time, but it would be good to know if corrections are not done because they are not justified by the original.
    There do seem to be quite a few instances in the 1939 of people still living whose record has been opened - one of my neighbours for instance!
If they (FindMyPast)haven't done anything about it after 90 days of complaining (contact with them) ,take it further. There are acts of law protecting your rights, too busy is not an excuse for violating them.
Kind Regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
I complained right at the start that the accompanying maps showed my families living miles away, nowhere near the correct village!  I even told them the exact spot on the map - I used to live there for heaven's sake so knew it was right!  Have just checked now and it's still wrong.  They promised to look into it......

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 October 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
My dad's record is open, my sister was told we had to prove he was still alive. He is going to be 96 tomorrow so will a picture of him with his birthday cake be any good  ;D ;D ;D ;D