Author Topic: "Bollin Par/Park" on The Cheshire Parish Register Database  (Read 1519 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Bollin Par/Park" on The Cheshire Parish Register Database
« on: Thursday 28 September 17 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

Does anyone please know where the above place was/ is.
I have been looking at baptisms of my Henshaw/ll ancestors.
One of my Ancestors, Henry, was born in 1642, baptised at Wilmslow.
From what I can see, he married Dorothy Upton, in 1667.

He had a few children, all of which seem to have been baptised in Wilmslow.
Between 1670-1683, baptised in Wilmslow were:
John, William (baptised Henshall), Mary (baptised Henshall), Thomas, Henry, and Ann.

On the "residence" for some of these baptisms, it says "Bollin Park" in the data grid. Then when you click on the actual baptism it says sometimes: "Bollin Par."

For Henry's occupation, on some of the burials for his children, and the baptisms, it states that Henry was: "Keeper, of Bollin Par/Park." I have a feeling that this may have been "Keeper to the poor." This is the occupation that his son John went on to do.

But I'm not sure where this "Bollin Par/ Park." is referring to: Would it be Bollin Fee, near Wilmslow?
Or would it be Bollington/don near Prestbury?

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much.

:) ;)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Bollin Par/Park" on The Cheshire Parish Register Database
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 September 17 11:24 BST (UK) »
My gut feeling is that Bollin Park would be associated with Bollin Fee and therefore Wilmslow.

If it was Bollington near Prestbury, then surely baptisms etc would be conducted at Prestbury, especially as it is located to the east of Prestbury.  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 September 17 11:26 BST (UK) »
My gut feeling is that Bollin Park would be associated with Bollin Fee and therefore Wilmslow.

If it was Bollington near Prestbury, then surely baptisms etc would be conducted at Prestbury, especially as it is located to the east of Prestbury.  :-\

Thank you.  :)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 September 17 12:22 BST (UK) »
The book The History of Cheshire mentions Bollin Park in the Parish of Wilmslow

"Within this parish is a fair house and a park called Bollin Park, of Sir George Booth, knight and Baronet"

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 September 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
The book The History of Cheshire mentions Bollin Park in the Parish of Wilmslow

"Within this parish is a fair house and a park called Bollin Park, of Sir George Booth, knight and Baronet"

Emeltom

Oh, that is interesting.
So he may have been a: "Game Keeper" of that park, or something like that, rather than "Keeper of the poor."

Thank you.  :)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 September 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
Or the Head Gardener in charge of looking after the Park. Looking at images of the original Parish registers it definitely says Keeper of Bollin Park on at least three of them.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 September 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
Or the Head Gardener in charge of looking after the Park. Looking at images of the original Parish registers it definitely says Keeper of Bollin Park on at least three of them.

Emeltom

Thanks again,

I looked for a marriage of Henry. I found him getting married to Dorothy Upton in 1667. I think this Dorothy was buried in November 1667.

Then on "Find My Past" I found Henry getting married to a Margaret Tabor/Tabur, in Cheshire in 1668. It is a marriage licence. The transcription states that he was a Woodsman of the parish of "Bolton." But having a closer look, the original image says: "Bollin."
Margaret's parish was "Hulsey" (or something like that - wherever that is?):
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs/chs/4018596/01357&parentid=gbprs/m/737291549/1

This Henry died in 1686. There is a Will/ Probate for him in 1687. His residence has been put down as Bollin Fee, and Margaret Henshaw is mentioned as the Widow of her late Husband Henry, in the original image:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fchs%2f4012440%2f00443&parentid=gbprs%2fchs%2f748067610

:) ;)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 09:59 BST (UK) »
"I found Henry getting married to a Margaret Tabor/Tabur, in Cheshire in 1668. It is a marriage licence. ... Margaret's parish was "Hulsey""
Hi RRB, Like I said in my reply, I think, to your recent (2019) Matthew Woodall post I'm only just getting back into the swing of things hence this v belated reply.
I have a suspicion that you might have worked this out already, but if not... The important bits of the marriage licence translate from the Latin/transcribe as:-
Henry Henshall of Bollin, woodman ... Margaret Davenport of Fulshaw spinster
I think I read somewhere (ELGAR?) that Bollin Park was one of the Dunham Massey parks, and included the area known as Old Park; Bollin Pk is to be distinguished from Dunham Park, apparently.
In sum, I reckon 'keeper' in the context of Henry, his son John, and also his father William, relates to gamekeeper, park keeper etc moreso than of the poor. Check out also the HH 'of Dunham Massey' named in an obligation? (off the top of my head) attached to keeper Wm Henshall's will 1666.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 11:56 BST (UK) »
"I found Henry getting married to a Margaret Tabor/Tabur, in Cheshire in 1668. It is a marriage licence. ... Margaret's parish was "Hulsey""
Hi RRB, Like I said in my reply, I think, to your recent (2019) Matthew Woodall post I'm only just getting back into the swing of things hence this v belated reply.
I have a suspicion that you might have worked this out already, but if not... The important bits of the marriage licence translate from the Latin/transcribe as:-
Henry Henshall of Bollin, woodman ... Margaret Davenport of Fulshaw spinster
I think I read somewhere (ELGAR?) that Bollin Park was one of the Dunham Massey parks, and included the area known as Old Park; Bollin Pk is to be distinguished from Dunham Park, apparently.
In sum, I reckon 'keeper' in the context of Henry, his son John, and also his father William, relates to gamekeeper, park keeper etc moreso than of the poor. Check out also the HH 'of Dunham Massey' named in an obligation? (off the top of my head) attached to keeper Wm Henshall's will 1666.

Hello Birtle,

Thank you very much for this.
Yes I had already worked out that Henry married a Margaret Davenport of Fulshaw. I found this out from the information you gave me on the "Nether Alderley/ Broken Cross" Topic here on Rootschat. My apologies. I didn't realise this topic had been on here for so long, and I had not clicked the "Topic Completed" button.

I worked out also that William Henshaw , his son John , and his son Henry were also game keepers of the park. It is very obvious from the items listed in William Henshaw's will of 1666 that he definitely was a gamekeeper.

Thank you very much.  :)  ;)