Author Topic: Kathleen G Grunner- born 1921- Liverpool  (Read 836 times)

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kathleen G Grunner- born 1921- Liverpool
« on: Thursday 28 September 17 10:55 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out what happened to a Kathleen G Grunner born in 1921 in Liverpool, Lancashire around the March time I believe. Her mother was Margaret Honoria Grunner born 1896 in Whitchurch, Shropshire.
Margaret seemed to have lived with her grandparents until she went into service in Liverpool. She died in the workhouse in 1926 but interestingly left a small amount of money to someone not related to her at all. I do not know whether she was working there at this point or she was a resident there. It was around £7.00. Although Kathleen was born in the Workhouse after this it draws a blank and I have reached a dead end after looking at endless records. I would love to know what happened to her. I did wonder if she had been privately adopted, name changed and that was it so nobody ever would know but is this too far fetched? Has anybody got any more ideas please? Thank you.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Kathleen G Grunner- born 1921- Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 September 17 10:58 BST (UK) »

Margaret seemed to have lived with her grandparents until she went into service in Liverpool. She died in the workhouse in 1926 but interestingly left a small amount of money to someone not related to her at all.

Do you have the will or are you working from the probate index which names the executor (Monica Spencer) who is not necessarily the person who inherited

Have you found Kathleen on the 1939 register
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 September 17 11:09 BST (UK) »
It is a will but it only mentions that all personal effects and the money go to this lady. Believe it or not I have been in touch with this familys relatives but they knew nothing about Margaret or Kathleen. It does say she died in the Workhouse Infirmary but there is no mention of her daughter at all. I have checked the 1939 register and there is nothing there either.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 September 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
It is possible that she was informally adopted and her name changed
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 September 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
I believe I have found her but she was not under the Lancashire BMD Index which I would have expected- Registration District- West Derby, Liverpool but she is listed under Find My Past as Kathleen G Spencer born 1921 and died 1927 and it is under that registration district. I will have to obtain her death certificate but I am pretty certain it is her. Monica Spencer must have adopted her informally I believe. I usually obtain my death certificates from Lancashire BMD so I will have to do it the other way. Is there any reason she is not listed under the Lancashire BMD. Her mother Margaret is not also? Thank you.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 September 17 15:07 BST (UK) »
There are relatively few West Derby events on LancashireBMD. Most of the volunteer effort has gone into the Liverpool registration district.

You can check the coverage just under the "Search" menu item for each event type.

You can still order from the local office, but you won't get as quick a service as you would with a reference. If you order locally and the office does "scanned image" certificates, then you may get the informant's signature. The only deaths of that type that I have unfortunately have an "X" in that box.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 September 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. That is disappointing but I will order the certificates anyway.
Kind Regards.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 September 17 22:47 BST (UK) »
St Bride Toxteth
4th April 1921
Kathleen Gertrude Mary Grunner
born 6th Feb 1921
abode St Faiths Hostel
mother Margaret Grunner
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 September 17 23:32 BST (UK) »
GRO might be your best option for ordering her death certificate as Kathleen Gertrude Spencer
I assume you have found Monica and her husband James so if the address on the death certificate matches you have found your Kathleens adoptive mother
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,