Author Topic: Public house records  (Read 1351 times)

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
Public house records
« on: Thursday 28 September 17 14:59 BST (UK) »
I am trying to define the dates for landlords in the 1930s for   The Victoria Inn / Hotel, Address Victoria Inn, Victoria, nr. Hepworth, Huddersfield.
On my birth cert 1937 it is shown as my home, my grandfather John Edward Bacon was the landlord, ii am trying to find when he moved there and when he left, i know the landlord after him was William Eric Bradbury not sure when he took over ?
The pub in the 1940s was Worksop & Retford Breweries , then Hammond Ales took over. Doe's anybody know of any resources  for searching ?
                                                       Thank You, bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Public house records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 September 17 15:21 BST (UK) »
Ancestry - via West Yorkshire, England Alehouse Licences 1771-1962 has the licence transferred to him on 4 August 1936.  There is an image of the page.  He was fined for selling liquor outside the permitted hours.   :o

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Public house records
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 September 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
Ancestry - via West Yorkshire, England Alehouse Licences 1771-1962 ...

Thanks Bumblebee for this, when I next access Ancestry, I'll have to check for Hood's Dram Shop, Wren Lane, Selby.

I can only find a newspaper paragraph of an Inquest for a man who died at the bar in the 1860s (sounds like heart attack) and I'd like to discover when Hood held the first and last Licence.

Because Hood would have had an Excise Licence (for Brewing) from about 1825, I asked the Archives about both Excise Licences and Ale-house / Inn (Premises) Licences and your response to the question and dates are interesting about the dates coverage, thank you.

Mark

EDIT: This new information, leaves me asking - did a Richard Gibson have a Premises (Ale-house, Inn) Licence 1790s to 1812 and onward and if so, I'm wondering where and if anything is noted on the transfer please?