Author Topic: uploading DNA results from 23 and me to gedcom  (Read 2213 times)

Offline juiceanca

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
uploading DNA results from 23 and me to gedcom
« on: Thursday 28 September 17 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hello all
im new to this and have downloaded my raw data from 23 and me and would like to enter it on gedcom site ,when i try to upload it i get this message .
(1580) ERROR: DNA file not received. Only 323 of 2266424. Token may have expired. Please try again.

im at a loss and dont really know if im trying correctly,is there a step by step as i have just tried and it links me to the 23 and me website but then i receive this error.
any help would be great thanks.

Campbell - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Mcdonald - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Porter      - Staffordshire,England
Sargeant - Staffordshire,England

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: uploading DNA results from 23 and me to gedcom
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 September 17 15:07 BST (UK) »
Do you mean the Gedmatch site?  If so, you need to download the data and save the file.  Then follow the instructions on the Gedmatch site.  If you are 23 and me you have to load it to Genesis, not the main Gedmatch site.  If you look at the Gedmatch home page, go to the bottom blue box where it says Genesis Project.  Click on this and it will ask you for your username and password again.  Upload on there.  You might find it takes a while.  Just leave it a few minutes and keep checking.  Once completed you have to wait for the data to be matched.  Mine was up and running within a couple of hours.  Good luck!
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline juiceanca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 September 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandgrounder1
thanks for the help ive just uploaded to the genesis website and it says complete finished and gave me a code to use when i go back to gedmatch website where do i use the code or what do i need to look at now.

many thanks julian

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 September 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
The code is your Gedmatch number.   Don't lose this because it is your key to comparing with other people.   Once you get the go-ahead that everything has been processed your details will be in dark green on the left of the Genesis page.  Then you can do one of two things, a one to many match and a one to one Match.  Do a one to many match first.  Put your number in the box.  This will bring up a very long list of matches.  Only the top few will be worthwhile.  Try your top match by clicking on the A.  This will show how you match.  It shows your matches by each of the 22 chromosomes.  The higher the cm's the better.  The gen is the number of generations back you match.  If you click on a person's number it will bring up their list of matches.  This can be useful to compare to yours.

If you want to compare 2 kits do a one to one match.

Check your list regularly as matches are added daily.

For all the technical terms I suggest you read up on what all the terms mean and how to get the best out of them as it is complicated.  I have only been doing this a couple of weeks so it is still a bit of a mystery!

Try this:

http://blog.kittycooper.com/about-me/our-dna-test-results/autosomal-dna-picture/
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline juiceanca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 September 17 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi and thankyou

this is what i get at moment but dont see any matches ?

Your DNA kits below - Color Code
Problem with kit or duplicate - probably should be deleted
Kit has not yet been tokenized
Kit has not yet completed matching with other kits
Kit has completed all processing and is in good status

???

thanks julian

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 September 17 18:38 BST (UK) »
Your kit number details will change colour as ithey move through the processes.  So you are probably at number 2 of the 4 at present?   When it reaches dark green at the bottom it will be ready to use.  They say this can take a day or so, but mine was ready after about 2 hours.   I suppose it depends on how many are being processed at any one time.

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 September 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
I have just checked mine to make sure I am giving you the correct information.  Your name, next to your number, will be dark green when it is ready.

Offline juiceanca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 September 17 18:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks
its light green at moment so will give it more time,Much appreciated all your help.