Author Topic: Gilfarnes ? surname Northumberland  (Read 1605 times)

Offline kynren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gilfarnes ? surname Northumberland
« on: Thursday 28 September 17 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Im wondering if this is a transcription error ? It is on Ancestry also LDS IGI .

England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973
Mary Gilfarnes married an Alexander Bruce  09 Jul 1704
All Saints, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England

I am researching the Alexander Bruce however have come across his marriage to the above lady and cannot find anything further on her nor any other person with the surname Gilfarnes. I have searched Farnes just in case her name was Mary Gill Farnes but nothing.  Has anyone come across the Gilfarnes surname before.
Horn - Fife Scotland

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
Re: Gilfarnes ? surname Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 September 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Kynren, other than your Mary I couldn't find any other Gilfarnes after searching several websites. The British Newspaper Archive gave a couple of Gilfarn hits, which look theatre related.
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 September 17 08:00 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat :-)

The record is on Ancestry, Find My Past and Family Search, but all three are from the same source which is the LDS Family Search. So if there was a transcription error it would have been replicated on all three sites.

Unfortunately the Bishops Transcripts images on Family Search do not include this year for All Saints

The original registers are held at Northumberland Archives (Woodhorn) and can be seen there on microfilm

Tyne and Wear Archives also have microfilms that can be viewed.

All Saints Registers are available to view online on Family Search, but unless you are a member of the LDS church you can only see them if you go to a Family History Centre, there may be one near you.

I can't help with a look up at either of the archives, but if no one else can help before my next visit to   my local FHC, I 'll check the image.

Boo

Offline kynren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 October 17 14:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo,
I'm thinking its an error too ?
Horn - Fife Scotland

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 14:14 BST (UK) »
I looked at the image this morning and it doesn't appear to be a transcription error.

This is the lady's surname from the print I took this morning, All Saints Marriage Register 9th July 1704, Groom was Alexander Bruce and bride was Mary Gilfarnes

Boo

Offline kynren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 October 17 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you. It is a very strange surname and I cannot find any other person of that surname at all.
Horn - Fife Scotland

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
Just in case you haven't come across them, Familysearch has the following at All Saints, all children of James:

11 Jul 1680 - Robert Gilfawness
12 Mar 1682 - John Gilfaines (died 12 Apr 1862)
27 Jul 1684 - Mary Gilfaines

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kwr/
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline kynren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 October 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
Just in case you haven't come across them, Familysearch has the following at All Saints, all children of James:

11 Jul 1680 - Robert Gilfawness
12 Mar 1682 - John Gilfaines (died 12 Apr 1862)
27 Jul 1684 - Mary Gilfaines

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kwr/

Thankyou for that  ;D
Horn - Fife Scotland

Offline DAVEY B

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Kynren I dont usually do this but I stumbled across your post re: mary gilfarnes and had to reply as I have info that may help.
I am looking into my family tree and Alexander Bruce is as far back as I have managed to get so far.(my 7x great g/father). He married Mary Gilfarnes in 1704. Mary's father was James Gilfaines. I have actually gone through the registers in Newcastle central library page by page to acquire information and I have found 4 siblings all registered with different spellings - Thomasine Kilfaunes 1675, Elisabeth Kilfawnes 1677, Robert gilfawness 1680, and John Gilfaines 1682, finally Mary in 1684. They were all fathered by James Gilfaines in All Saints and the timeline fits. Indeed his widow (they were married in 1673) was named as Beatrice Giffanes in the burials. I suspect that as people could not read/write they would verbally give their names to the scribe who would write their interpretation of the name. I suspect that it comes from John Gilpatrick who had a son, James Gilpatrick in 1648 in All Saints. The name is gaelic and was originally Gillephadruig (hence the 'F' in later interpretations). It literally means 'servant of St. Patrick' hence Gilpatrick - I can imagine with a heavy gaelic accent that mispelling would be easy!
When I get the time i go and dig a bit more so if I come up with anything else I will let you know. I realise that this is my interpretation but there are no other families with similar names at that time in these records (I know because as I said I've gone through them line by line)!
hope it helps - cheers.
Sorry I've just re-read your post and you say that you are actually researching Alexander Bruce - depending on what you want to know I may have more info for you (or you for me) so let me know and I will pass it on.