Author Topic: Murdoch Family: Guernsey  (Read 2551 times)

Offline jamyam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murdoch Family: Guernsey
« on: Friday 29 September 17 10:19 BST (UK) »
Can anyone with local knowledge or access to Guernsey records help discover what happened to a small branch of my family who moved to Guernsey in the 1870s? Isabella Murdoch neé Dempster moved from Dalbeattie with her two sons, Samuel and William Dempster Murdoch. I have been able to discover the following from on-line sources:

− Samuel died on 14 Feb 1885 at the age of 24.
− Isabella died on 10 July 1890 at the age of 66.
− William Dempster Murdoch married Florence Elizabeth Cluett on 6 August 1891 and they had two children:
       William Dempster Cluett Murdoch, born St Peter Port 12 Oct 1892, died 1919 aged 26 or 27.
       Isabella J F Murdoch, born St Peter Port in 1894 or 1895.
− William Dempster Murdoch died in 1921 after a very successful career in both business (W D Murdoch, provision merchants and later, Murdoch’s Stores Limited) and in politics (President of the Chamber of Commerce until 1900, a douzenier from 1900, constable of St Peter Port from 1908 until at least 1918, etc etc). There is an obituary in the Guernsey Weekly Press of 23 April 1921 but, unfortunately, I do not have access to this.
− Florence Elizabeth Murdoch neé Cluett, born St Peter Port 11 Aug 1869. She was still living at “Dalbeattie”, Grange Road , St Peter Port in 1927.

Any BMD or other information on the family, particularly the causes of the early deaths of Samuel and WDC Murdoch; possible marriages and children of Samuel, WDC and Isabella J F Murdoch; and the obituary of WD Murdoch would be most welcome.
Paternal: Murdoch, Riddick, Young, Lowden, Cumming, Thomson, Wilson, Copeland, Alexander, Anderson, McCraith
Maternal: Oliver, Smith, Barritt, Field, Thompson, Daniel, Collard, Jackson

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Murdoch Family: Guernsey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 September 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can't help you with the Guernsey details but I can see that at the Jersey Archive, they have a Travel Permit issued to incoming passengers bound for Jersey from Southampton on the SS Vera on the 16th September 1916 for Murdoch, William Dempster Cluett. He gave his ultimate Guernsey address as Dalbettie(?), Samarez(?) St. Guernsey. The handwriting is not clear.

There is another form dated 10th April 1917.

There are also other family members forms.

You can see all forms at http://catalogue.jerseyheritage.org/

Stewart

Offline jamyam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Murdoch Family: Guernsey
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 September 17 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

Thanks for the link. The family came from Dalbeattie in Kirkcudbrightshire and that was the name of his mother's house in Grange Road, St Peter Port (1923 & 1927 Kelly's). Previously, the family home was at 7 Saumerez Street, St Peter Port and so that house must also have been called "Dalbeattie".

The travel records also show Isabella Florence Murdoch on another trip to Jersey. Florence was his mother's name and so this is almost certainly his sister, who I had only identified thus far as Isabella J F.  This therefore fills another gap in my knowledge. Thanks again for your help.

John
Paternal: Murdoch, Riddick, Young, Lowden, Cumming, Thomson, Wilson, Copeland, Alexander, Anderson, McCraith
Maternal: Oliver, Smith, Barritt, Field, Thompson, Daniel, Collard, Jackson