Author Topic: GARDINER family Western Australia  (Read 8833 times)

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GARDINER family Western Australia
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 October 17 05:02 BST (UK) »
Hello J.A.M.

Can I suggest you try making contact with fellow descendants through the White Pages telephone directory online?

There is only one Gardiner and four Robartsons listed in Merredin, only a couple of P. Lockleys and a handful of Horobins in Perth. Worth a try! https://www.whitepages.com.au/residential

(1) Jeanie b. 15 July 1900, m. Wm ROBARTSON 1924, d. 26 July 1976
      (2) James b. 13 January 1902, m. Elizabeth Jane C HENDERSON 1928, d. 27 Jun 1978 as Jim
      (3) Samuel b. 7 November 1903, d. 23 Nov 1976
      (4) Thomas Hugh b. 19 May 1906, m. Kathleen M BIGGERS/DUNSTAN 1938
      (5) Robert John b. 1908 (possibly Robert John b. Nov 1907 Larne Ire, m. Sybil J HANSEN 1943, d. 24 Feb 1998 aged 90)
      (6) Sarah Campbell Gardiner b. 7 November 1909, d. 13 Nov 2002 [as GARDINER]
      (7) William Gardiner b. 7 November 1911, ?m. Irene BAYLISS 1939, d. 11 March 1995
      (8 ) Mary Gardiner b. 5 May 1914, m. Noel George HOROBIN 30 Jun 1944 [they had a daughter in 1945 and twin boy and girl in 1949, lived in Nangeenan], d. 18 Nov 1997
      (9) Joseph b. 5 May 1914, ?d. 2 Nov 1989
    (10) Lucinda 'Lucy' Victoria b. 1916, m. Thomas Chas Hugh LOCKLEY 1935, d. 7 July 2008
    (11) Victor Gardiner b. 13 June 1919, m. Helen [Ellen] ZANETTI 1951, d. 24 May 2016 [aged 96!]
    (12) Violet Gardiner b. 13 June 1919, ?m. Lionel D PRICE 1946, d. ?
    (13) unknown Gardiner – born after 1923 [George, as per Welcome Wall post, most likely George S, b. 1924 Northam district WA, reg 144]

A George Stanley GARDINER b. 15 Mar 1924 in Merredin WA enlisted in Fremantle, next of kin Samuel GARDINER. Service number 30500.

Do you know who submitted their details to the Welcome Walls?
http://museum.wa.gov.au/welcomewalls/names/gardiner-sarah-william

Deaths from http://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/results.php and marriage from http://www.wamarriage.info/

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 October 17 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks mollipops,

I checked some of the WA sites & did get some deaths data & army info. Also found that Victor, Joseph & William worked for the railroad.
I had not thought about the White Pages. I shall do that.
Thank you very much for your assistance.

J.A.M.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline SteveJohno

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 July 18 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Robert (born 1907 not 1908) is my grandfather and Merle my mother.

That is his service record linked above. He died back in 1998 and is buried in Merredin WA, where he lived most of his adult life working for the railways.

Unfortunately I don't know much about his brothers and sisters as I only met Victor at his funeral.

Feel free to contact me

Regards

Steve

Offline Tim Johnston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
I am Steve's brother as quoted above. i have sent your information to Auntie jill, mums sister. She has done alot of family research.

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tim,

If you want to correspond directly Steve has my e-mail address.

Roger

Offline Tim Johnston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 23:40 BST (UK) »
Grandad and Granma (Robert and Sybil), I was very fond of Granma, a reserved pleasant nature'd lady who doted on her children and grandchildren. Grandad was quiet and distant, emotionally trouble from the war. He served as a signalman in north africa, was a rat of tobruk, helped defeat Rommel. Winston Churchill shook his hand as he congratulated them on victory in north africa. He then returned to Merredin, where Granma fell pregnant with Mum. Then he served in Papau new Guinea against the Japanese, seeing some ugly action there. A beach landing where his captain was killed behind him aas they were landing, captured Japanese committing Kuri Kuri. He caught Malaria and had to be sent home. After the war his nerves emotions must of been shot, he was hospitalised a number of times. I guess he had post traumatic stress and suffered from this the rest of his life. And of course this heavily influenced the relationship he had with Granma and his kids. But he never turned to Alcohol to ease his mind....

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Tim.

Do you recall if there ever was there ever mention of the McCalmont relatives in Northern Ireland?

Roger

Offline Karen Wade

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 May 20 14:48 BST (UK) »
In your travels have you come across an Oswald George Gardiner who came from London to Fairbridge Farm in 1931. But also a Mavis (?Madis) Gardiner in Pinjarra. Oswald has listed Madis as his NOK at his enlistment time, but as far as we were aware, his marriage to Valmai was his first. So, I am unsure whether Mavis was his "adopted" sister? Or whether there is absolutely nothing there :(

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 May 20 02:14 BST (UK) »

In your travels have you come across an Oswald George Gardiner who came from London to Fairbridge Farm in 1931. But also a Mavis (?Madis) Gardiner in Pinjarra. Oswald has listed Madis as his NOK at his enlistment time, but as far as we were aware, his marriage to Valmai was his first. So, I am unsure whether Mavis was his "adopted" sister? Or whether there is absolutely nothing there :(

Hi Karen,
I cannot help with the historical side of the GARDINER family.
However regarding Oswald.
On enlistment the index shows that he was was located at Cookernup, WA.

You mention that NOK  Mavis GARDINER seems to be at Pinjarra. How do you know this?
Do you have a full record of Oswald's ww2  service file?

He was only 20 or 21 when he enlisted- youngish to be married- and there is not a record of any marriage other than the one to Valmai Joy

GARDINER  Oswald G
OSTLE Valmai J   
Perth   .2855/1953

He is interred with her at Pinnaroo Valley Memorial Park.

There were not many Mavis GARDINER's on the electoral roll.

One whose address is Pinjarra, Mavis Ethel GARDINER was married
GARDINER George A
CALLADINE, Mavis E
1931/79
Perth

She and her husband George Andrew appear on the Electoral roll together. So cannot make a connection there.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk