Author Topic: Ned Conroy of Melbourne: who is he?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Ned Conroy of Melbourne: who is he?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 September 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
His siblings:

1888 25042 Mary died 1889
1893 6772 Catherine died 1894
1896 31228 Francis Martin died 1969

Marriage:

1922 98 CONROY Francis Martin to VIRTUE Sylvia

Death:

1948 8534 CONROY Sylvia Veronica parents VIRTUE William and Katherine (Wilson) aged 52 born Brighton death Caulfield

Francis' war record: https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=3280184

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 September 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
Jamjar, your mention of Francis Martin Conroy is interesting, because several other un-addressed postcards in my possession are from another Frank (not my Frank Newton as the handwriting's different) including one to "My Dear Cousin Queenie," and Ned's card to his mum and dad says "Both tip-top," so presumably meaning him and his brother.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 September 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
Trove has a death notice for Edward CONROY died 1923 which lists his sons as Frank and Ned, wife Sarah.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2013929

Was your family living in St Kilda at the time of WW1 - wondering if they may have been neighbours.  Did your family have someone in the AIF in WW1?

Just as an aside "Queenie" was often a pet name or nickname so it may not be any help in finding formal records.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 September 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Judb

No, that's the strangest thing - my Frank Newton was from Wood Green, North London, and the family goes back at least four generations in the London/Home Counties area. I've been researching them for years, and as far as I'm aware there aren't any Australian connections/cousins hidden away in the woodwork (says she, preparing to eat her words!)

Girls called Victoria (in the U.K. at least) often got Queenie as a nickname, though, having said that, there is a Queenie (her actual baptismal name) Ixer in one of the more distant Newton-related branches, who I worked out would have been "my" Frank's cousin in some degree or other.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 September 17 13:56 BST (UK) »
There is actually a Queenie Conroy. Not saying she is cousin Queenie, but it does appear to be her true first name:

1969 19255 CONROY Queenie parents HARGREAVES Alfred and Jessie Ellen (Lazarus)

1934 8559 HARGREAVES Queenie to CONROY Laurence Arth

1904 22646 HARGREAVES Queenie Alfd Herbt and Jessie Ellen (Lazarus)

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 September 17 14:13 BST (UK) »
If Queenie Conroy can be tied to Francis Martin Conroy that would pretty much confirm that the postcard was one of his. I'd just like to say that if there are any descendants of Ned or Frank out there who are interested, please message me as I'd be happy to email images of the postcards to them. I very much doubt that the originals will be legible in another ten or twenty years, so it would be good to know that they are at least preserved digitally for the descendants still to come.