Author Topic: South Australia BDM index?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South Australia BDM index?
« on: Friday 29 September 17 21:53 BST (UK) »
I'd be grateful for the link please to the site.  I know I've used it before but I've forgotten where it is.

I'm looking for historic records in the index.  I don 't need an actual certificate.

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia BDM index?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 September 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 September 17 23:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks spike.  It wasn't that one because the one I found was totally free.  I may have just got lucky with another branch of the family and someone had transcribed it to a website. 

Offline SteveFarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 September 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

According to this page, it's all a bit patchy in Sth Aus

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/family-and-community/births,-deaths-and-marriages/family-research

Steve

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 September 17 00:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks spike.  It wasn't that one because the one I found was totally free.  I may have just got lucky with another branch of the family and someone had transcribed it to a website.

Membership is not required to search the database. Some additional info is free, some is available to members only. If you have a specific person you are after, I can do a look up for you.
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 September 17 01:06 BST (UK) »
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 September 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

According to this page, it's all a bit patchy in Sth Aus

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/family-and-community/births,-deaths-and-marriages/family-research

Steve

Where does it say that?   South Australia as do other states, limit the years that you may search.  Marriages in SA to 1942 will be available soon.  Many of us have our own resources and may be able to help you further.

Perhaps this page will be of interest...
https://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases/18-uncategorised/62-south-australian-certificates-story.html

Not all BDM events were registered, as in the early years, Catholics refused to comply with the Act. Researchers may need to search church records of baptisms, marriages and burials, and also school admission registers held in our research library. Our early Certificates have only minimal information, so you should refer to the Charts to see what information was recorded in which years.

https://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases/18-uncategorised/76-what-is-in-a-certificate-when.html

If you would like to post your names of interest I'm sure we can assist you ie if the information is in the public arena.

Have you browsed the SA resources?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=280572.0

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SteveFarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 September 17 05:07 BST (UK) »
HI

I only meant is a bit patchy compared to the other states because they are not all indexed and not all online and as it says they are working on the indexes .

Steve

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 September 17 06:16 BST (UK) »
Steve I've been researching SA records for many years and SAGenealogy have indexed their records from the former district registers.  I have all the CD's they have produced in association with McBeth Genealogy.  Births from 1842-1928; marriages from 1842-1937 and to 1942 soon, and deaths to 1972.

I still can't see where on that link you posted anything about records being 'patchy'.  Must need new specs :P 

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk