Author Topic: Looking for info on Barbara Russell/born in Tynemouth  (Read 2456 times)

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for info on Barbara Russell/born in Tynemouth
« on: Saturday 30 September 17 00:38 BST (UK) »
Good Evening,

I've had great luck with help from you ladies and gents so I'm trying here again...my 3rd grandmother's name is Barbara Russell she was born in Tynemouth, her father was William Russell and Mary (Smiles?), she was baptised in Christ church tynemouth on 19 feb 1823. When I look at William Russell and Mary Smiles as her parents, something does not quite seem right, is there any record to solidify their connection? like GRO Marriage certificate, she was married in 1844...The reason why I have my doubts is because William Russell and Mary Smiles went from anglican to catholic, Barbara was the only one baptised as anglican and the rest were catholic and I didn't think that is a common thing in the 1820's...if anyone could help that would be great!
Kelly, Weatherhead, Wagner, Russell, Smiles (Smailes)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Barbara Russell/born in Tynemouth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 September 17 09:17 BST (UK) »
I have many changes such as this in my family history,I wouln't be looking to deeply into it,why not
just order the Leatherhead marriage certificate and see if it has any information you haven't already got I don't see it at Christ church was it St Josephs

her parents as you probably already know where married at Christ Church 293rd November 1818
so no children between then and 1823 ?
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 September 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hello
Have you considered the bias against Catholics at the time?
Legally they would have to have married in a C of E church before 1837 south of the boarder so nothing surprising there.
The Roman catholic chapel at Tynemouth didn't open until 1816 ,perhaps William and Mary took a little time to get back to their catholic roots.If they were worried about discrimination or were a mixed marriage then christening their children in the local Anglican church may just have seemed easier .It looks as though there is a brother Samuel at the catholic chapel maybe he persuaded them it was ok.
Just a thought.

Ciderinker

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 October 17 03:00 BST (UK) »
I have many changes such as this in my family history,I wouln't be looking to deeply into it,why not
just order the Leatherhead marriage certificate and see if it has any information you haven't already got I don't see it at Christ church was it St Josephs

her parents as you probably already know where married at Christ Church 293rd November 1818
so no children between then and 1823 ?

I believe one of my distant cousins has a marriage certificate for Barbara, but I believe it only says the father's name not the mother...

I did find her marriage record at christ church..

I will check if there are any other children born to William Russell and Mary Smiles before 1823, that might give me more info, thanks for the tip!

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 October 17 03:05 BST (UK) »
Hello
Have you considered the bias against Catholics at the time?
Legally they would have to have married in a C of E church before 1837 south of the boarder so nothing surprising there.
The Roman catholic chapel at Tynemouth didn't open until 1816 ,perhaps William and Mary took a little time to get back to their catholic roots.If they were worried about discrimination or were a mixed marriage then christening their children in the local Anglican church may just have seemed easier .It looks as though there is a brother Samuel at the catholic chapel maybe he persuaded them it was ok.
Just a thought.

Ciderinker

I am in Canada and unfortunately do not know about religion and bias against the catholics in the 1800's in England..I am catholic myself.. Do you know where I can get access to catholic records for the catholic church in Tynemouth? p.s. who is brother Samuel? you mean a brother to William?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 October 17 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi tamarakel,

Google a great North East Genealogy website called - ''Margaret Hall Genealogy '.

Then click on the link for Tyne and Wear Archives User Guides to download their record guides. These will show what records they hold for RC records in North Shields (St Joseph & St Cuthbert) and other places in the area.

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 October 17 13:06 BST (UK) »
Mothers names are not included on English Marriage Certs, only Fathers name/occp.
+ Witnesses who may or not be Family members.

Barbaras Baptism is on FreeREG 19 Feb 1823, Christ Church, Tynemouth to William/Mary
Fathers Occp Labourer
Abode North Shields

Cant find a Baptism for Charlotte age 11 on the 1841 Census with Barbara (Barbary) either.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 17 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hello
About those catholic records.
The catholic church at Tynemouth started in 1816 and is available  with images on FindMyPast and Ancestry.
The index is also on Familysearch.
And yes I did mean Samuel was the possible brother of William.
Catholic weddings were banned in England and Wales 1754-1837.There were fines for not attending a C of E church and restrictions on jobs and leaving property in their Wills.Over the boarder in Scotland things were more relaxed catholic weddings,informal wedding were the two parties just had to say they were married in front of witnesses.
In theory the local parish vicar in the C of England  should list all the births,marriages and deaths in his parish irrespective of whether they came to his church but that doesn't usually happen.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 October 17 19:47 BST (UK) »
Have you gone further back in your research then Barbara was her father catholic and he mother not or vice versa
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,