Author Topic: Looking for info on Barbara Russell/born in Tynemouth  (Read 2452 times)

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Barbara Russell/born in Tynemouth
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi tamarakel,

Google a great North East Genealogy website called - ''Margaret Hall Genealogy '.

Then click on the link for Tyne and Wear Archives User Guides to download their record guides. These will show what records they hold for RC records in North Shields (St Joseph & St Cuthbert) and other places in the area.

Best Wishes :)

thank you I will check it out :) I remember using that website for the weatherheads too :)
Kelly, Weatherhead, Wagner, Russell, Smiles (Smailes)

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
Mothers names are not included on English Marriage Certs, only Fathers name/occp.
+ Witnesses who may or not be Family members.

Barbaras Baptism is on FreeREG 19 Feb 1823, Christ Church, Tynemouth to William/Mary
Fathers Occp Labourer
Abode North Shields

Cant find a Baptism for Charlotte age 11 on the 1841 Census with Barbara (Barbary) either.

Ok wasn't sure about what info was on the marriage certificates, thank you for that...I believe that Barbara (Barbary) is not related to me since the dates do not match..

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hello
About those catholic records.
The catholic church at Tynemouth started in 1816 and is available  with images on FindMyPast and Ancestry.
The index is also on Familysearch.
And yes I did mean Samuel was the possible brother of William.
Catholic weddings were banned in England and Wales 1754-1837.There were fines for not attending a C of E church and restrictions on jobs and leaving property in their Wills.Over the boarder in Scotland things were more relaxed catholic weddings,informal wedding were the two parties just had to say they were married in front of witnesses.
In theory the local parish vicar in the C of England  should list all the births,marriages and deaths in his parish irrespective of whether they came to his church but that doesn't usually happen.

Ciderdrinker

Thank you so much for this, I have an account with find my past, so I was able to see the actual records, that was awesome! I had no idea on the limitations the catholics had in England at that time, thank you for sharing that with me. I will check out Samuel as well..

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
Have you gone further back in your research then Barbara was her father catholic and he mother not or vice versa

I know that William Russell (Barbara's Father) and Mary Smiles (Barbara's mother) got married in Christchurch in 1818, I do not know who William Russell's parents or Mary Smiles parents are or when they were born...I am trying to find a baptism record for William and Mary in the Christ church records but so far nothing...if anyone wants to help me with this, it would be much appreciated...I had info from a relative that they were born in 1803 but I know that can't be right since they were married in 1818, or could they have married at 15???

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 October 17 21:16 BST (UK) »
So I'm pretty excited, I had a breakthrough!!! I decided to upgrade to the world ancestry and bingo, I was able to find another sibling for Barbara Russell...her name is Catharine Russell born in durham in 1819, she was baptised in a catholic church in durham...so I'm getting closer and closer...I'm now going to look for other siblings there as well to see if William Russell and Mary Smiles are born in that area as well...

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 October 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
Familysearch.Org has;
WILLIAM 15 Oct 1826
MARY ANN 16 Feb 1829
CHARLES 8 Nov 1830
Roman Catholic, Tynemouth
Parents Wm RUSSELL and Mary SMILES

There is also Barbara 1823 to William/Mary
Catherine 1820 Durham as you say.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)