Author Topic: Death certificate for Margaret Straton in the Northern Territory  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificate for Margaret Straton in the Northern Territory
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 30 September 17 10:52 BST (UK) »
VIC births:

1886 12685 STRATON Edward Charles Edward and Rosa Houghton (Wastell)

1888 5429 STRATON Edith Margret Edward and Rosa Edmund (Wastill)

Marriage: 1885 423 STRATON Edward to WASTELL Rosa

Death: 1951 2339 STRATON William Edward father STRATON Edward and mother unknown, aged 70 place of birth Darwin NT BLACKBURN

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 30 September 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
Could Harriet Dundas have been named after:

1872 7637 STRATON Harriet Dundas parents Douglas Edward and Eliza (Philps) born Scotland aged 69 husband William Straton

Agnes named after? 1858 327 STRATON Agnes to LOVELOCK Daniel

TAS
Name: Straton, Agnes Lovelock
Record Type: Marriages
Spouse: Martin, Edwin William
Date of marriage: 3 Feb 1899
Registration year: 1899
Record ID: NAME_INDEXES:927236
Resource RGD37/1/62 no 1083

NSW Death: MARTIN Agnes Lovelock parents EDWARD and MARGARET BANKSTOWN

Woronora Cemetery: Agnes Lovelock Martin 21-9-1965 Burial Anglican Monumental - Section F - 0052

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 30 September 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
Edward and Rose were in Tassie in 1898, 2nd last column:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article84658124

Jamjar

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 30 September 17 12:47 BST (UK) »

1898 Tasmanian Post Office Directory
MONTAGUE
166m NE from Launceston.
Staton, Edward.

Gerry

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 30 September 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
John has a sister Jane born in 1849, so is it a possibility that she changed her name later on? The family does actually have a daughter Margaret in 1868, but she dies the same year she is born.

It is possible that Margaret is Jane.  Given her mother's age, perhaps she chose to carry the name on if it was unlikely that there would be any more children born.

Was your ancestor the only John MARSHALL in Westport?

Debra  :)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 01 October 17 04:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

It doesn't add much but their marriage made the NZ Newspapers including the Colonist, 16th May 1871, page 5.

STRATEN - MARSHALL - April 6th, at St John's Church, Westport, by the Rev, A. C. Souter, Mr Edward STRATEN, Four-Mile, Charleston, to Miss Margaret MARSHALL, Westport.

Note, STRATEN not STRATON.

Gerry

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 October 17 04:43 BST (UK) »
May I ask \when we are assisting fellow 'chatters with research that we, where possible, post the links where you found the information.

It was once the policy of rootschat that we do not copy and paste information from other websites.   Seems to have gone by the board today.  I must find out if it still applies.   

PLEASE type all surnames in uppercase.  Must be my age but I find some of the posts lately a tad difficult to follow.

zumaro you originally needed info on how to obtain a death certificate so now do you require further information.  There are public trees on Ancestry which may help you so perhaps you should contact the owners.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 01 October 17 06:52 BST (UK) »

Western Australia August 1896.

Loaf of bread will be fourpence per 2 lb loaf.

EDW. STRATON (plus other Master Bakers)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/3098158?searchTerm=

Gerry

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 02 October 17 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for all this information. Whoever these people were, they are most definitely my relatives. While filling in all sorts of details from here on my family tree, I also started a shadow family tree for my strongest unknown DNA match. Within minutes I arrived at Agnes Lovelock STRATTON and William MARTIN....

I followed through with the Genealogical Society SA and was directed to GSNT, and they have supplied me a pdf of all the information they have on the Strattons. The most interesting says that Margaret MARSHALL was born in New Zealand in 1850, but the birth is unregistered. There is no sourcing for this information, so I will write back and enquire further. However the other details are all sourced and accurate, so maybe it is correct.

This would explain why no one can find a proper Scottish reference for her, but it would make the fact she is meant to be the sister of Glasgow born John MARSHALL of Westport somewhat mystifying. I can't find any other John MARSHALL living in Westport in 1880, although there is one close by in Greytown, and there is a John MARSHALL buried in Westport in 1883, but I think he is a 10 month old baby.

Other family trees on the web insist on identifying Margaret as someone born in the 1830s in Stirling, Scotland, or they just go with the 1850 date without further identifying her birthplace. I think most follow the too common ancestry.com 'copy whatever you find' method of research, so the same wrong data perpetuates. I have ordered the Straton's marriage certificate, so maybe that will give some more revealing information. At this point even where she is born would be useful!

Did we achieve answering what I originally asked? I guess so, as I learnt that the death records were not worth pursuing, but along the way I have learnt many other things as well, and I have a few new leads as to Margaret's origins. If anyone has any other ideas I am always grateful to the wonderful people on this website.

Thanks everyone.
Smith: East Lothian, Scotland
Mack: Berwick, Scotland
Fell: Yorkshire, England
Smeeton: Leicester, England
Haigh: Marsden, Yorkshire, England
Sullivan: Kerry, Ireland