Author Topic: Son of Baptist missionary following military career - is it likely?  (Read 835 times)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Son of Baptist missionary following military career - is it likely?
« on: Saturday 30 September 17 11:47 BST (UK) »
I've just received the 1853 death cert for a child who I was pretty sure was going to turn out to be "mine" but I should have known better.  So now I think I need to look at other records as if he didn't die in childhood there must be some other reason he's never been enumerated with the rest of the family in any censuses.

His father was a butcher when he married in 1834 and in 1841 but by the 1861 census (can't find the family in 1851) he'd got religion and described himself as missionary "at home amongst the cabmen".  Later references suggest he was Baptist.  Although there were plenty of children I don't have birth certs for most of them so don't know when his transformation took place.  The only bap I've found is for his first-born (1835).  The children were born all over England.

It's possible the boy was apprenticed but the 1850s don't seem to be covered all that well online for apprenticeship records and there are rather too many record offices to visit in person just on the off-chance.

I intend to revisit all my census records for everyone with the right name and YoB plus/minus about 5 years and work back their trees to see if anyone seems to be lacking parents, and where possible follow any possible candidates through to death in case they left a Will naming family members.

I'll also look at military records, although I'm having trouble reconciling the father's religion with a son having a military career.  Has anyone else any examples of this sort of thing, and even better, accounts of how it affected the family?  Might it have caused a rift?  Or was it OK for the son of a man with strong Baptist beliefs to presumably go off to war?  I know in well-to-do families it was almost expected for one of each of the sons to join the clergy, practice law, enter politics and get an army commission ("forward he cried from the rear and the front rank died"), but I don't think my lot moved in those circles and young James would more likely have been cannon-fodder.

And suggestions please - anywhere else I might have missed?

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Son of Baptist missionary following military career - is it likely?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 September 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
He might not have got on with his father and joined the army to escape.   So, whilst not 'likely' I would say it's quite possible.

However, whilst you've given us a narrative it's difficult to comment further with no actual details of the family - this may simply be because you want to do the research yourself but if you want any help please post relevant details and we will try to help you.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 September 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
Happy to post details.

James DARLING b Clerkenwell dist Q3 1845 son of George Henry DARLING and Maria nee McDONALD

siblings
William b 1835 d 1841
Maria Charlotte b Q1 1838 Reading
George b 22 Dec 1840 St G H Sq registered Q1 1841
Thomas McDonald b 25 Feb 1843 Marylebone registered Q2
Ebenezer b 27 Apr 1847 Romford registered Q2
Charlotte b 23 May 1849 Crigglestone YKS registered Q2
Kate Elizabeth b 27 May 1851 Cheltenham registered Q3
Jane b Q2 1853 Cheltenham
Emily b Q3 1856 Clifton
Nathaniel b Q2 1859 Clifton

Census locations for family
1841 London
1851 not found (checked address on 1851 birth cert, unoccupied!)
1861 onwards Bristol

Father George died 1889, no Will.  Widowed mother Maria died 1899, again no Will.  Where I've found Wills for the children, none of them have made any reference to their siblings.

Shout if anything else would be useful, happy to consider any and all help/suggestions!

ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 September 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
Have you investigated the James Darling death Sept.1846 Romford (district where Ebenezer born the following year)?   GRO index site states he was 14? BUT cannot find any Darling's living in this area in 1841 or 1851 and wonder if this should read 14 months (rather than years).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 September 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
Good spot Annette.  I don't have a burial to go with this death so he could well be "my" James.  And rather embarrassingly, I've just found that I DO have a burial for the 1853 death, it's on FindMyPast, if I'd noticed it earler I could have saved myself £9.25!

Ebenezer was born in Chadwell, so it looks as if the Chadwell burial register needs to go on my SEAX to-do list.  Whilst I could order the death cert from GRO with checking detail to only supply if age 14 months, I have a lot of SEAX look-ups piling up, what's one more on the list?

Although it looks promising I won't assume anything at the moment, and if anyone else has different suggestions please don't be afraid to make them.

ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 October 17 05:01 BST (UK) »
Have you investigated the James Darling death Sept.1846 Romford (district where Ebenezer born the following year)?   GRO index site states he was 14? BUT cannot find any Darling's living in this area in 1841 or 1851 and wonder if this should read 14 months (rather than years).

Annette

Several times I have hit this.  I think the GRO just puts the number, not followed by mo or yr

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 October 17 10:55 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

I see no reason why he should not join the army, regardless of what his father was. In large families the children would have been almost forced to find employment of somekind. Otherwise they would be going hungry with a lot of mouths to feed.

Incidentally, officers led from the front, this was still the case in WW1 which is why so many officers were killed or wounded. A good example would be the Charge of the Light Brigade where you see Cardigan in the lead with his trumpeter.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
A little update

You were right Annette (reply #4), PDF has just arrived from GRO.  14 months old in Aug 1846.  Certified diarrhoea, not a pleasant thought.  Address just Chadwell, nothing more specific, but at least now I know.

ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON