Author Topic: The Pic Nic Theatre  (Read 1979 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: The Pic Nic Theatre
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 October 17 05:27 BST (UK) »
There is also this reference to Rime's Alley Gosport in 1803
https://www.gosportsociety.co.uk/gosporttaverns.htm
(in the 2nd paragraph)

If you click on the map on that page, and look for #2 (The Phoenix) it's likely Rime's Alley ran behind this Hotel, as mentioned in the advertisement Daisy found, and another in 1846 saying it is to the rear of the Union Hotel (#4) with tenements opening on to Rime's Alley.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 October 17 07:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Maddy.  Rogers' reference to Rimes Alley is a direct quote from the Monthly Magazine article that you also mentioned (1802).  Unfortunately, nothing in the Rogers summary is dated.  I'm grateful for the pinpointing of Rimes Alley that you added.  What makes you note the location: any evidence to add?

I'm certainly willing to accept the validity of your note: am aware of the crowded nature of the seaport at the time of the Napoleonic wars - but didn't know of the physical layout of Portsea, Gosport and Portsmouth as a whole.

The ballad(s) that I'm studying do not necessarily help in assessing a historical time; but - as I've written before and according to addresses on copy - my man Oxlade worked in Portsea between 1813 and 1820;  No doubt Rimes Alley still existed in the form you described as long as the Fleet filled the area with men and business.  The reference would have had resonance.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 October 17 07:14 BST (UK) »
Maddy,

I've no idea how I missed your Woolfe notes.  Great stuff.  I was beginning to think that 'my' 'I. Woolfe' could've been a 'J'.

Your notes make a whole lot of difference to my reseraches.  Thnanks again.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 02:53 BST (UK) »
I'm grateful for the pinpointing of Rimes Alley that you added.  What makes you note the location: any evidence to add?

There are a few references to Rime's-alley that I can see in newspapers, and linking those with the names of the Hotels on the Gosport Society paper by Rogers map, you can get an idea where it was.
In 1862 there is a report of a robbery where the culprit went “through Rime’s alley into South Street”.
A report in 1869 of prostitution going on in houses associated with the Hare and Hounds (#6 on the map) in Rime’s alley.
In 1846 the Union (#4 on the map) for sale “… Public House known as the ‘Union’, situate in the best position, being opposite the floating bridge approach on the beach, Gosport, now in occupation of Mrs Burt, with Tenements in the rear opening to Rimes-alley.”
In 1820, as Daisy said, contigous to the Phoenix (#2 on the map), and immediately behind the King’s Arms (#39 on the map).

There is this map of Gosport in 1867:
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/459503/100500/12/100266
(Scroll across a bit to the right to see Gosport)
You can view for free at a reasonable resolution. I think the road between High and South Sts back from the beach is the King’s Arms Passage. I suspect based on the information above, that Rime’s-alley connects the two “Passages”.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 06:34 BST (UK) »
Lovely stuff.  Thank you.

I'm now thinking that there's a hiatus betwwen the ballad I'm looking at and any Pic Nic Theatre...inclined to think no such theatre in the Portsmouth area.  References are few, are scattered, and are - generally - 'late' in respect of my man, Oxlade.

For me, the more important thing is, firstly, to ground Oxlade in Portsea as a printer of ballads between 1813 and 1820 (and to expand those dates if possible - his life pattern suggests that he went off to London in 1820 - loosely, to where he came from).

Secondly, I'm interested in his associates or rivals or fellow printers - such as James Williams, with whom he may well have had contact: JW was in Queen Street, seemingly at a later date than Oxlade; but they could have been connected through their respective radical views and actions.  Needless to say, there's lot more here that I've already discovered...  Oxlade, for instance, was imprisoned just before 1800 for his views; Williams went to trial in 1817 for similar views.  And so on.

roly