Author Topic: 35 LTAA Regt RA  (Read 4959 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: 35 LTAA Regt RA
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 October 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
Does the "history information" section on the cemetery page give you any more clues?

https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/2000320/sai-wan-war-cemetery/
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 October 17 09:44 BST (UK) »
You may have done it already but a Google search on "35 LAA Regt in Java" throws up a number of things, including a piece from a distinguished Gunner historian - worth a read for context at least.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 02 October 17 11:10 BST (UK) »
Nanny jan thanks . Just had a quick look at CWGC iink you posted . Will look in more detail later .
Previous info I had in 2011 off this site is as follows .
        Gunner Emrys Morgan
1737745 ,89 Baty,35 Lt AA Reg royal artillery ,who died age 34 on nov 1942.  Son of john and jessie morgan.

Also have mention in memorial bOok , same info. Also uk army roll of honour off Anc. Which gives same info ...plus theatre of war as netherlands east indies .
Also have 3 items of FindMyPast few. Years back, one says presumed died whilst POW N.E.I another written in on typed sheet says POW java .
 MaxD thanks I will look that up later . And yes MaxD , you may have noticed his surname of Morgan . He was the son of " John morgan what happened to you? " Post  From WW I boards.
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 October 17 11:21 BST (UK) »
Not realy relevant but many years ago I spent some time in hong kong and visited many places on HK island ,must have passed close by Sai wan .I didn't know then that" M" was buried there , strange isn't it !!!??
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
MaxD thanks .actually on this occasion I hadn't gOogled this subject . Don't know why ? Have now done so!
Spent a few hours looking at results. I realise things must have been chaotic in the singapore area but I'm finding it a little difficult understanding the dispersements of 89 bty 35 LAA reg . There are conflicting stories from even people who were there. Eg.
At the sinking of SS anting. Did all but 1 gunner of 2 troops of 89 baty drown or not?
Does anyone know. Which 2 troops of 89 baty  were sent to summatra in late  jan 1942  with 78 baty who in feb 1942 were forced to retreat to java abandoning their guns in process ?
Was it A and B troop ?
Can anyone tell me how many troops were in 89 baty at this time ?
Where can I find the history of 89 baty TA ?
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
Would anyone know if for a RA reg of this type ( 35 LAA ) the norm was 4 guns to a troop ?
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
The piece by Brigadier John Lewendon is as definitive as I believe you will get.  He says:

The dearth of information about a Gunner presence in the Netherlands East Indies in the earlier part of 1942 was brought home to me in the RA Library Archives. This is not surprising when it is remembered that:-
a. No Unit War diary has survived from the Java/Sumatra campaign of 1942 - precious few survived from the Malayan Campaign.
b. Such campaign accounts that do exist were mostly written over three years later at the end of a traumatic period as POWs of the Japanese in the most appalling and bestial conditions.
c. The events themselves lasted for barely four weeks.

Brigadier Lewendon was at one time the Historical Secretary of the Royal Artillery and has written extensively on the Royal Artillery and the piece comes from his research in the RA Library and Archives so I'd say he has covered all there is to know about this difficult time.

I have already highlighted what I can find at the National Archives for the regiment and the battery (Brig Lewendon notes that none survive for the relevant time!) so there is no "history of 89 baty TA" that you ask for. I've looked for National Archive material for 78 Battery but nothing comes up that would answer the question about the two troops (I have seen one ref that says only B troop went with 78 Battery).  The number of troops in a LAA Regiment was not always the same, I've come across three and four although the most usual was four troops of 4 guns each.

I note this reference in the Imperial War Museum: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1030003821
is the papers of an officer who served in 89 Battery in Java.  You should contact the IWM staff to see what is involved in seeing these papers.

I fear the detail you are looking for is the sort of nitty gritty that only deep research with original documents will uncover and my view is that there is unlikely to be anything out there that hasn't already been referenced.  Contact with FEPOW as Nanny Jan has recommended would be a good idea.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 12:36 BST (UK) »
MaxD thanks, looks as if it's going to take a lot of time and effort to find out any more detail . I did see a few items that could explain a lot ,held by national archives , but not digitised would entail visit !! I will though later , cotact IWM to see if they may help.
 I just thought there  may be somebody out there who had previously  researched this theatre, And 35 LAA reg in detail and may. Have been  able to help !!
I knew it was awfull out there but the more I read , the more  I realise how terrible it must have been for our boys and the unimaginable cruelties they suffered.

Thanks for your help !
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 14:08 BST (UK) »
Another IWM find:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1500019079  I can't find the "35th LAA Regimental Association FEPOW Fund" listed as the publisher but again the IWM may be able to help.

See also my PM

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk