Author Topic: 35 LTAA Regt RA  (Read 4960 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: 35 LTAA Regt RA
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on 89 Baty. 35 light AA regt RA 1939 -43.

Hi

I have not been following this thread, but noticed you appear to have some links for the Regt (Regiment) but found this below for September 1939, which possibly indicates an amalgamated battery (Bty)?

Series reference WO 166 refers to Home Forces only, (WO War Office).

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=89%20battery&_col=0&_cr=WO%7CADM%7CAIR%7CHO&_dss=range&_sd=1939&_ed=1945&_ro=any&_hb=tna&_st=adv

For 89 Battery, there only seems to be this one ...

The National Archives, Kew
WO 166/1587
ROYAL ARTILLERY: FIELD BATTERIES: 89/90 Field Battery.
1939 September
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C787643

It looks like an R.A. in 1939, as opposed to R.E. (Royal Engineers).

These were original records when they were released early, so you'll need a "Readers Ticket" AND ALL THE REQUIRED INDENTIFICATION EVEN IF RENEWING an out of date "Readers Ticket".

From time to time during a year, you'll find a "Layout List" or Communications list, with a diagram of telephone lines with the Batteries and/or Numbers with their locations named, photograph these, as they can really help with further research, in the hierarchy. Once you break down this hierarchy, you may trace a mention of something in a neighbouring Unit War Diary, or higher up the chain of command.

My Grandfather's friendly 1940 air crash report which was obviously passed up from local batteries in the Southampton locality, but actually appeared higher up the chain in A.A. Brigade (Bde.) and A.A. Division (Div.) War Diary records.

Regards Mark

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
Mark

You are referring to a Field Battery that was called 89/90.  The thread is about 89 Light Anti Aircraft (LAA) Battery and you have also linked to 89 Anti-Tank Regiment.
is the one I referred to earlier in the thread (irrelevant anyway as it refers to 1945).

The same numbers given to different types of RA units is a well know Heffalump trap, some say done deliberately!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
Mark

You are referring to a Field Battery that was called 89/90.  The thread is about 89 Light Anti Aircraft (LAA) Battery and you have also linked to 89 Anti-Tank Regiment.
is the one I referred to earlier in the thread (irrelevant anyway as it refers to 1945).

The same numbers given to different types of RA units is a well know Heffalump trap, some say done deliberately!

MaxD

Hello Max

So it has changed from the original title 35 Light A.A. Regt. and not from 1939?

I agree, best to start with the Unit concerned first.

Mark

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Bushinn1746 , Hi Mark. Thank you for your help and links , also advice on Nat archives ,very informative.
 I think ref my seach which is for info on...... 89 baty.... _35_reg RA. Not 89/90 field baty . It does get a little confusing . Good of you to try and help.
There  may though have been some sort of change
With the local TA units as you suggested .
I had two uncles whom I had thought served with the same unit , now I'm thinking maybe/ maybe not
  as one ended up in BEF and was evacuated from Dunkirk , the other ended up on Malta for couple of years , he.. said that at one stage , they were so short of food they ate rats and grass/ plants . Don't know if this was true but, I was told the young lad who went out certainly wasn't the same person coming back .
I shall have to spend more time researching TA units in the area . Thank you mark.

MaxD thanks "on the ball as usual "! many thanks also for PM and suggestion within.
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
Mark

Not sure about your last post.  89 Light Anti Aircraft Battery was one of the three (by 1943) batteries (sub units) of 35 Light Anti Aircraft Regiment.  None changed title during the war, those mentioned are all different units with different guns and tasks.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 08 October 17 18:56 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if the ships. Yoshida maru , singapore maru or any other japanese "hellships" carrying POWs to japan from Java / singapore  stopped off in hong kong up to middle of november 1942 on the way to japan / china ? Thanks
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
I have re-visited CWGC site as someone suggested and found that many of the poor souls buried at sai wan military cemetry , Hong Kong,  were originaly buried as far away as Formosa (Taiwan) and even Java . 
 Seems that many were moved there in 1946 /47. I have e-mailed CWGC to see if they have any more information on emrys morgan .
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 18:29 BST (UK) »
Looks as if. Gnr. Emrys morgan died on the island of Formosa ( Taiwan). Didn't realise that there were
approx. 14 POW camps there,
One website mentions that most of the high ranking allied  officers also the govenors of hong kong, singapore, java and guam were held there . 
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 19 October 17 18:09 BST (UK) »
Just heard from CWGC confirming that Gnr Emrys Morgan was previously buried in N.Daichoku cemetry, Taihoku, Formosa (Taiwan) . Most of those who died there were. Re-buried at Sai Wan,Hong Kong.
  Can't find his name mentioned as a POW in Taiwan ,unless he like many others died on one of the japanese "hell ships". ..OR shortly after arriving ?
Does anyone have any info on the N.Daichoku cemetery at Taihoku ??
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero