Author Topic: Parents of Margaret Robertson born Blairgowrie abt 1778  (Read 1043 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Parents of Margaret Robertson born Blairgowrie abt 1778
« on: Saturday 30 September 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
Margaret Robertson is my 4xs great grandmother and on her death certifcate her parents are given as John Robertson (farmer) and Jane Thomson. On the census her birthplace is consistently given as Blairgowrie and her age is fairly consistent over the decades, 1841 age 60, 1851 age 71 then in 1861 age 82- when she died in 1863 her is age was given as 85. So looking for a birth to the above parents around 1778.

There is a birth for a Margaret to a John Robertson and a Helen Thomson in Blairgowrie in 1778...from the OPR that child was born at Hillburns. Around this time there are seven births showing in Blairgowrie for a John Robertson and a 'Thomson' - six of those list a Jean Thomson as the mother - only Margaret's birth lists the mother as Helen. I obtained the OPR for a Joseph Robertson born 1780 he too is showing born at Hillburns but his mother is down as Jean (although it looks to have been altered?). Jean/Jane not a problem but Helen? There is a marriage for a John Robertson and a Jean Thomson in 1762 alas no mention of Hillburns. In 1841 Margaret is living at Hillburns with her husband Donald Scott! Not sure if there is anything else I can do to establish if Helen is Jean/Jane?
Thanks
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Margaret Robertson born Blairgowrie abt 1778
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 November 17 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Robertson death certifcate her parents are given as John Robertson (farmer) and Jane Thomson.
looking for a birth to the above parents around 1778.

There is a birth for a Margaret to a John Robertson and a Helen Thomson in Blairgowrie in 1778...from the OPR that child was born at Hillburns. Around this time there are seven births showing in Blairgowrie for a John Robertson and a 'Thomson' - only Margaret's birth lists the mother as Helen.
a Joseph Robertson born 1780 born at Hillburns mother as Jean (although it looks to have been altered?). Jean/Jane not a problem but Helen? There is a marriage for a John Robertson and a Jean Thomson in 1762 alas no mention of Hillburns. In 1841 Margaret is living at Hillburns with her husband Donald Scott! Not sure if there is anything else I can do to establish if Helen is Jean/Jane?

Hi Jen...

My thoughts...

As you think Margaret may be the one born c1778 to Helen, same place 'Hillburns' as Joseph was born fairly soon after to Jean in 1780...

Is it possible Helen died soon after the birth of Margaret... & Jean (possibly having been the sister of Helen) ended up as an item with Joseph through grief...it did happen & still does in this day ???  :-\

You don't say if John Robertson is a 'farmer' on Joseph's baptism?

Were any of the Sponsors the same name?

Annie

Added...I think the 'Hillburns' may be 'Hillbarns' when comparing the letters?

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 November 17 04:27 GMT (UK) »
May not help much but there's a John Robertson still at 'Hillbarns' 26 Jul 1797 paying Horse Tax & has 7 Horses!

The John Miller (Wester Banchory) above your baptism is still there too!

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls/farm-horse-tax-rolls-1797-1798/farm-horse-tax-1797-1798-volume-04/289

If it's true John's 1st? wife Helen died then it's very possible Margaret would never have known  ???

Nothing like trying to make the pieces fit I guess!  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 November 17 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,
I only have the OPRs for the marriage in 1762 (no information bar Jean was from Cargill) then Margaret's baptism in 1778 (snip below) and Joseph's in 1780 (snip on first post). The baptism records have no witnesses or occupations :( There are five other children born to a John Robertson and a Jean Thompson before Margaret's birth but I've yet to obtain them. I wonder if Joseph's OPR has been changed? Perhaps Jean died and the last two children were born to a Helen. I thought John Robertson might have left a will but I've not found one. Someone owning seven horses in my family is about the same as finding you're related to royalty!
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir