Author Topic: Large genealogy charts  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Alassea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Large genealogy charts
« on: Sunday 01 October 17 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for 30 generation genealogy charts and have had no luck, does anyone know where I could find some?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Large genealogy charts
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 October 17 03:27 BST (UK) »
You don't say where in the world you are?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 October 17 03:29 BST (UK) »
This is an old thread which will give you an idea but of course prices will have increased.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=628583.msg4766023#msg4766023

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 October 17 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for 30 generation genealogy charts and have had no luck, does anyone know where I could find some?

Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

30 generations? Really?
My own tree goes back to 1550 and "only" contains 13 generations.
At that level (13th generation) I ought to be able to find 4096 10xGreat Grandparents.
That in itself needs a VERY wide chart?! :-\

30 generations would have 536,870,912 (over 536 million!) 27th Great Grandparents!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 October 17 07:32 BST (UK) »
You don't say whether you require a blank chart (for you to fill in manually) or a chart printing from your existing database.

The largest blank chart I know of (from Genealogy Printers) is 15 generations. More than that and it would probably require too large a piece of paper to print.

The size of a chart printed from your existing database will be determined by how much data you have.

Offline Alassea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 October 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
I'm located in the US (Oregon). I am looking for blank charts, either in a roll form or a huge folded sheet.
I do not have 30 generations on all my ancestors, I starting with my maternal grandfather and following only the male line, went back 25 generations and it led to Princess Nest, I then jumped over to her line and went back a few more generations.

I know there are a lot of family tree programs out there, but it's much easier getting my head straight on everything when I have it all physically in front of me.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 October 17 20:24 BST (UK) »
I would be interested to see such a chart.

By the time you get to 15 generations on a traditional pedigree sheet the paper would need to be around 100 yards deep to have readable names at 1/4 inch line height.

Now double that for each additional generation and by the 30th you get to something like 2,000 miles long!
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 October 17 20:40 BST (UK) »
Nest ferch Rhys, born c1085, was the daughter of Rhys ap Tewder (aka Rhys ap Tudor Mawr).

Princess Nest led an eventful life. She was born a princes’ daughter, became a king’s mistress and then a Norman’s wife; she was abducted by a Welsh prince and bore at least nine children to five different men.

So there will be lots and lots of descendants!
IF their lines can be proven, that is ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Alassea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 October 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
Mike175, I do not understand where you could get your measurements for 30 generations, like I said I went back solely on the male side starting with my maternal grandfather, which means, his father and mother then his grandfather and grandmother etc...no sibling or maternal grandparents other than the spouses to the men. I have it all scribbled on a few sheets of notebook paper but would like to have an actual chart to slowly fill in everyone that I can.

I didn't think that asking this question on here would lead to me being criticized about how many thousands of names or how many hundreds of feet the paper would be, in actuality it wouldn't be that long.
If this is how a person is treated on this site then it's not worth joining.