Author Topic: Large genealogy charts  (Read 2203 times)

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Large genealogy charts
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 October 17 07:41 BST (UK) »
The point about paper size arises because any blank chart has to cater for all possibilities. The designer has no way of knowing which parts the end user will actually complete.

Your best bet might be to obtain a copy of one of the free family history programs, enter your data and then use the program's charting facilities to produce a chart of that data to look at on screen or to print as you desire.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 October 17 08:19 BST (UK) »
So, you are wanting a chart that deals solely with one branch of your Family Tree?
I have never heard of such a chart, but I will look and see if I can see one.
It is highly unusual?! :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 October 17 08:37 BST (UK) »
Try Brother's Keeper - the "Tree of Descendant" chart can go up to 30 generations, but will obviously cover a lot of paper.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 October 17 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Alassea,

My post was not intended as a criticism and I'm really sorry if you took it that way. I was just trying to explain the impracticality of such a huge chart. It was not clear (to me) that you were only intending to follow one particular line.

As others have said, there are '15 generation' charts available but the ones I have seen do not actually allow 15 full generations. Perhaps you could 'daisy chain' two or more of these together to get your 30 generations?

Alternatively you might try searching for 'single line ancestry chart', or something similar. I have found several such, but not for 30 generations although you could easily link from one to another as suggested above.

Finally, please don't give up on RootsChat, it is one of the friendliest and best-moderated forums around  :)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 October 17 09:11 BST (UK) »
Mike175, I do not understand where you could get your measurements for 30 generations, like I said I went back solely on the male side starting with my maternal grandfather, which means, his father and mother then his grandfather and grandmother etc...no sibling or maternal grandparents other than the spouses to the men. I have it all scribbled on a few sheets of notebook paper but would like to have an actual chart to slowly fill in everyone that I can.

I didn't think that asking this question on here would lead to me being criticized about how many thousands of names or how many hundreds of feet the paper would be, in actuality it wouldn't be that long.
If this is how a person is treated on this site then it's not worth joining.

I think you will find most of the replies were thinking you were wanting a chart to cater for more than the line in tail male, such charts do contain hundreds if not thousands of names and run to enormous sizes.

Seeing your requirements I would concur with GrahamH (who has had years of experience producing charts for the public) that the way to go would be to use a couple of genealogy programs such as Brothers Keeper and Treedraw.

Brothers Keeper is in simple terms a database that collects and collates your data which is then exported to Treedraw to print a dropline chart.
The benefit of Treedraw is it allows the user to edit and move the position of the "people" on the chart to make them fit the space available.
Your chart can then be saved in various formats including PDF files which may be printed by most commercial printers.

You can also add to or change details images people on the saved file at will.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.