Author Topic: MEAD family, Stewkley - query re Births Regd. Winslow Union  (Read 1490 times)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
MEAD family, Stewkley - query re Births Regd. Winslow Union
« on: Sunday 01 October 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi to anyone who may be able to shed some light on my enquiry......

The birth of my great grandmother Mary MEAD was regd. as below:
MEAD, MARY  MEAD      DIMMOCK  (maiden name of mother)      
GRO Reference: 1843  M Quarter in WINSLOW UNION  Volume 06  Page 415

Birth of Mary's brother Joseph MEAD was also regd. at Winslow Union - in 1849.

Census records show the family was residing Hungary Haven, Edenbridge, Kent  in 1841 (Charles' Occupation R.R. Labourer)
In 1851 Charles (father of Mary & Joseph) was residing Workhouse Lane, Colsterworth, Grantham, Lincolnshire (Occupation Railway Labourer).
In 1851 his wife Sophia & children resided at Barracks, Stewkley, Buckinghamshire.

My question relates to the place of Regn. of the 2 births - Winslow Union.
I understand that it may actually refer to Winslow Union Poor Law Workhouse..?

Does anyone know if that means that at the time of the 2 births (1843 & 1849) the MEAD family was living at Winslow Union or is it possible that Sophia was there for the births....?

Hope someone can clarify for me.

I would just like to know  ???

Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MEAD family, Stewkley - query re Births Regd. Winslow Union
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 October 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
The places on BMD indexes refer to Registration Districts.
When Civil Registration began on 1st July 1837, these Registration Districts were based on the existing Poor Law Unions.

Winslow was an RD in Buckinghamshire, and the following lists the parishes within that Reg. District:
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/winslow.html

And, from Workhouses.org.uk:
Winslow Poor Law Union was formed on 9th June 1835. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 18 in number, representing its 17 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one):

County of Buckingham: Drayton Parslow, Dunton, East Claydon, Grandborough [Granborough], Great Horwood, Hogston or Hoggeston, Hogshaw-cum-Fulbrook, Little Horwood, Mursley with Saldin, Nash, North Marston, Shenley Brook End, Stewkley, Swanbourne, Tattenhoe, Whaddon, Winslow-cum-Shipton (2).

The population falling within the Union at the 1831 census had been 7,847 with parishes ranging in size from Tattenhoe (population 13) to Winslow itself (1,290). The average annual poor-rate expenditure for the period 1832-35 had been £11,291 or £1.8s.9d. per head of the population.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 October 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
When civil registration was brought in in 1837, the registration districts were aligned to the existing Poor Law Union areas. So many districts originally had the word Union in the district name.

I know many people make the same incorrect assumption when "union" is mentioned - but the only way to know the actual place of birth is to get a certificate.....although even those may only give a place name on early registers rather than an actual address.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 October 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
In 1841 the railway at Edenbridge was still under construction, it is possible that Charles was engaged in building the railway, a railway navvy camp was not usually suitable for wives.

Likewise in 1851 the railway was still under construction in Grantham, it is possible that his wife did not accompany him there  for the same reasons.

Mike

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 October 17 14:30 BST (UK) »
In 1841 the railway at Edenbridge was still under construction, it is possible that Charles was engaged in building the railway, a railway navvy camp was not usually suitable for wives.

Likewise in 1851 the railway was still under construction in Grantham, it is possible that his wife did not accompany him there  for the same reasons.

Mike

I see the same suggestion has been made on your other post on this family :)
Mike

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 October 17 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone and thanks for your input.
I had realised the fact that Charles working on the railways meant that his wife and family possibly wouldn't always be with him.
(having read up on the conditions the navvies worked and lived in I can understand why!)
I have copies of the Baptisms but not the Births.
Baptisms show Charles as a Labourer. Abode Stewkley, Buckinghamshire
My real question was just to clarify if Sophia was actually residing in the Workhouse at the time of the 2 Births that were regd. as Winslow Union.
It looks from the first reply that possibly not - that Winslow Union was just the Registration District.
Free BMD shows Births Mar qtr 1843  - MEAD, Mary Mead     Winslow    6   413
Hope I have it right  :-\
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 October 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
Go to www.mkheritage.co.uk and click on "View Heritage Websites Here" in green approx. middle of page - you'll get a list of links - choose Winslow History Project and down LHS you'll see Workhouse/Hospital.

This might give you a bit of background info.

You could also try the Contact Us link to see if they have any info that might help you further.

Hope this is of help

Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas