Author Topic: Burbage Buxton  (Read 1797 times)

Offline shuttle35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Burbage Buxton
« on: Sunday 01 October 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me find who was living at 2 Hartington Place, Burbage Buxton in April 1916. I've found a relative who died at this address but I can't find out what she was doing here as she lived in Barnsley, her husband registered her death. But I've nothing to tie them to this address.
Thank you for any help
Jacqueline
Jones Shotwick Cheshire, Moxley 7 yorkshire , Cooper Manchester, hayton Dewsbury & Wakefield, Crowther Horbury

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burbage Buxton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 October 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
Buxton was a spa town and had several Hydropathic Hotels - I know there was one on Hartington Rd originally named Malvern House  in 1899 it was renamed Buxton Hydropathic and at the outbreak of WW1 became a military hospital

Maybe your relative was ill and went to take the healing waters?

Do you have the names Chadwick or Higgings in your tree?
John Robert Chadwick (b in Cheshire) married Millicent Ellen Higgins in 1910 in Cheshire -after their marriage they went to live at 2 Hartington Place Burbage

the Banns for their marriage were published in burbage July 3/10/17 1910 and state John Robert Chadwick bachelor of the Parish and Millicent Ellen Higgins spinster of the parish of Dunham Altrincham

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shuttle35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 October 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, it does say on her death cert she died from Chronic Interstitial Nephritis (and it looks like )Urciemic Convulsions so its a good possibility she went for some sort of treatment or the healing waters that would explain it.

We have no connection to the names you mentioned but after Annie died her husband George married again in 1919 to Hetty Bolshaw and they lived at Axeholm, Macclesfield Rd, Burbage, Buxton. 
Thank you for your help
Jacqueline
Jones Shotwick Cheshire, Moxley 7 yorkshire , Cooper Manchester, hayton Dewsbury & Wakefield, Crowther Horbury

Offline billfly

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 November 21 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Good Day,
By coincidence I am researching the same address.
The details I have back in 1918 are:
Fox, 2, Harlington Place, Burbage, Buxton. I imagine that Harlington is a misprint for Hartington.
My reason for research is that a member of my RAF Squadron was killed in action in August 1918 and this was the address given for his parents at that time.
Best wishes,
billfly

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 November 21 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

See that when Annie died in 1916 she was only 38. After her death her husband appears to have remained in Derbyshire as he married his second wife there in 1919.

So is it possible that they moved to Burbage for work? 

What was his occupation?

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline shuttle35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 November 21 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. Georges occupation was a Iron Moulder, He did marry again in Buxton to a Hetty Bolshaw and his brother in law married Hetty's sister Florence Bolshaw they are all buried in Burbage Church Cemetery.
Regards Jacqueline

Offline shuttle35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 November 21 11:58 GMT (UK) »

Hi billfly. Thank you both for your reply.
One reply I had about Hartington Road was.... Buxton was a spa town and had several Hydropathic Hotels - I know there was one on Hartington Rd originally named Malvern House  in 1899 it was renamed Buxton Hydropathic and at the outbreak of WW1 became a military hospital. So that bit of info might help you.
Regards
Jacqueline