Author Topic: Thomas LANE  (Read 450 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas LANE
« on: Sunday 01 October 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find a birth/baptism record for my 3x GGF Thomas LANE, who if the census is to be believed was born in Kings Newton, Derbyshire around 1804. I've no idea who his parents were, though some trees on Ancestry suggest without any proof that they may have been John Lane and Hannah/Anne Butler.

All I know for sure is that he married Ann GASKIN in 1826 in Willington, Derbyshire. He died in 1866 and was buried in Willington.

Many thanks for any help?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas LANE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 October 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
Have you looked in familysearch.org

There seems to be a record or two that might interest you. Certainly his marriage is there and there are a couple of possibilities for births.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Íhringen Area)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 October 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply. I have searched FS in the past and had already found his marriage. I am fascinated, however, by your "couple of possible births".

I am unable to spot any possible births. Could you be so kind to point me in the right direction.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 October 17 11:36 BST (UK) »
I can understand why it is believed that John and Hannah are the parents of Thomas.

Kings Newton came under the parish of Melbourne and between 1802 and 1805 3 children of a John and Hannah were baptised there, the only Lane's in the parish baptisms.  So, with right time frame, right place, this couple do seem to be likely candidates for his parents.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 October 17 12:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information about Melbourne. It would appear from both the 1851 and 1861 censuses that Thomas was born in Kings Newton, though he seems to thinks it is in Staffordshire.

If John and Hannah Lane are the only Lanes to appear in the parish registers for Melbourne, it would seem to suggest that they must have been the parents of Thomas. Though it is strange that he doesn't merit a baptism.

The baptisms of Frances and John on 19 Sep 1802 seems to suggest that they baptise their children in batches rather than shortly after birth, unless they are twins. All the information I have on Thomas (1841 census, 1851 census, 1861 census, death certificate, burial) is consistent with a birth in 1804. So I would have expected him to have been baptised shortly after his birth in 1804 or with his sister Elizabeth on 28 Jul 1805.

Is it possible he could have been baptised in another nearby parish? If he is the child of John and Hannah, then I am really surprised that there is no record of his baptism.