Author Topic: Thomas LANE  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas LANE
« on: Sunday 01 October 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find a birth/baptism record for my 3x GGF Thomas LANE, who if the census is to be believed was born in Kings Newton, Derbyshire around 1804. I've no idea who his parents were, though some trees on Ancestry suggest without any proof that they may have been John Lane and Hannah/Anne Butler.

All I know for sure is that he married Ann GASKIN in 1826 in Willington, Derbyshire. He died in 1866 and was buried in Willington.

Many thanks for any help?

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas LANE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 October 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
Have you looked in familysearch.org

There seems to be a record or two that might interest you. Certainly his marriage is there and there are a couple of possibilities for births.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 October 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply. I have searched FS in the past and had already found his marriage. I am fascinated, however, by your "couple of possible births".

I am unable to spot any possible births. Could you be so kind to point me in the right direction.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 October 17 11:36 BST (UK) »
I can understand why it is believed that John and Hannah are the parents of Thomas.

Kings Newton came under the parish of Melbourne and between 1802 and 1805 3 children of a John and Hannah were baptised there, the only Lane's in the parish baptisms.  So, with right time frame, right place, this couple do seem to be likely candidates for his parents.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 October 17 12:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information about Melbourne. It would appear from both the 1851 and 1861 censuses that Thomas was born in Kings Newton, though he seems to thinks it is in Staffordshire.

If John and Hannah Lane are the only Lanes to appear in the parish registers for Melbourne, it would seem to suggest that they must have been the parents of Thomas. Though it is strange that he doesn't merit a baptism.

The baptisms of Frances and John on 19 Sep 1802 seems to suggest that they baptise their children in batches rather than shortly after birth, unless they are twins. All the information I have on Thomas (1841 census, 1851 census, 1861 census, death certificate, burial) is consistent with a birth in 1804. So I would have expected him to have been baptised shortly after his birth in 1804 or with his sister Elizabeth on 28 Jul 1805.

Is it possible he could have been baptised in another nearby parish? If he is the child of John and Hannah, then I am really surprised that there is no record of his baptism.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 13:56 BST (UK) »
I am refreshing this old thread, as the baptism and parentage of my 3xGGF remains unresolved. I would be grateful for any fresh insights.

Or indeed if anyone can unearth the possible baptisms on Family Search that might help my search, as I was unable to find them.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 23:19 BST (UK) »
No luck with the baptism for Thomas I'm afraid.
Have you been through of the Melbourne register name by name to see if it has been missed out in the transcriptions? (not unheard of)
I see the register is viewable on familysearch.

Have you traced Ann Gaskin?
I had a look for her, as you never now where information will turn up.
She would seem to be the Ann Gaskin baptised 28th Nov 1802 at Marston upon Dove, just 5 miles west of Willington.
Her parents are give as William and Sarah.
This would make her 2 years older than she says in the Censuses. Perhaps Thomas Lane was also a little older than the dates he gives. It was not unusual for people at this time to not know exactly when they were born - there were no such thing as birth certificates.

William Gaskin married Sarah Hunt 1st June 1802 at Marston upon Dove.
The marriage was by licence - Sarah was already about 3 months pregnant - hence the need for a licence so they could get married straight away and did not have to wait for the banns to be read and wait another month or so to get married.
William is given as 20 years old, and has the permission of his father - unfortunately not named. His brother Robert Gaskin of Willington is a bondsman.
All this is on findmypast - 2 pages of the licence.
William Gaskin died on 1852. There is a will. Derbyshire wills were proved at the Lichfield courts - these again are on findmypast.
In it he mentions several Gaskin children, plus his daughter 'Ann Lane'.
I had hoped there might have been other mentions of Lanes, like a witness, but it appears not unfortunately.

I had a look for any likely Lane wills, but couldn't see any that would seem to fit.
You might like to have a closer look.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 12:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. I knew about Ann Gaskin's marriage - she is my 3xGGM. I also knew about the marriage between William and Sarah HUNT.

However, the will is a real find, though I can't believe he had much to leave being just a labourer. The will reveals several interesting facts: (1) Harriet GASKIN, who I had lost track of after her baptism in 1808, survived infancy and married to someone call BULL, (2) there is no mention of Fanny GASKIN who I had also lost track of following her baptism in 1811, so she must be dead ny 1843, (3) it mentions a granddaughter Fanny BLOOD, who is totally unknown to me.

So a real find and several leads to follow relevant to my other thread "The children of William Gaskin and Sarah Hunt". Once again many thanks.

PS I now know that Harriet GASKIN married William BLOOD in 1829 and then following his death Samuel BULL in 1841. So (1) and (3) above solved.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 12:41 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that your Thomas and the John baptised in 1802 are the same person.   Either a mistake was made by the cleric when recording the baptism and that it should have Thomas rather than John or sometime after the baptism the parents themselves decided to call him Thomas, rather than John.

I say this because there is no further trace of a John Lane bc.1802 after the baptism - no death/burial entry, and no sign on any census.   

Looks like Hannah Lane bc.1769 was buried 29/11/1832 Melbourne - can find nothing for John Lane senior.

I wonder if he was the John Lane convicted in Derbyshire in Jan. 1806 and sentenced to transportation - would explain why no further children born to the couple.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk