Author Topic: Robert Mann 1811-1862  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
Robert Mann 1811-1862
« on: Sunday 01 October 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi All, for several years I have been trying to find the birthplace of my 3 x Great Grandfather who resided in North Shields. Inconveniently he said he was born in Northumberland in the 1841 census, North Shields, Northumberland in the 1851 census and Suffolk (no town) in the 1861 census the year before he died in North Shields. I now think he was born in Ipswich on 14 Oct 1811 (source: merchant seaman registers). I have searched FreeReg and both findmypast and Ancestry in the hope of finding a possible baptism without luck. Any advice on where to go or what to do now. Thanks.
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Mann 1811-1862
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 October 17 20:10 BST (UK) »
Have you tried familysearch.org
I see there are a few records there for Robert Mann that might help in furthering your efforts.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 October 17 21:18 BST (UK) »
From memory, Ipswich is not well covered online pre 1813 - it might be that a manual search of Ipswich parishes would need to be done at Ipswich Record Office.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks both. Richard I've started to have a good look through family search with nothing leaping out as yet; do you know what parishes covered Ipswich in 1811? I think however it may one day have to be a journey to Suffolk as Annette suggests. Cheers Pete
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
The Sufolk Baptism Index has a Robert Mann in Ipswich in 1808
Parents James + Susan.
Also, Hagar Man in 1811, same parents.

Birth registration in Tynemouth
Dec 1839 25 390
Mann, Hagar
mother Lynn

So possibly there could be a connection.
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hagar seems to be Susan H Mann in 1851
Haga Susan Mann, father Robert, married John Falcus Curry, 12 March 1861, Christ Church Tynemouth

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
Well found, jonw65 - I'd found the baptism for a Robert 23/10/1808 at St. Helen but not sister Hagar as 'Man' on 24/4/1811.   As it is such an unusual name which Robert gave to his own daughter surely this has to be the right one.

James Mann married Susan Hubbard 1804 Woodbridge (per Boyds marriage index).   Can't find full date online.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
Date of that marriage was 12 October 1804, and she was Susanna Maria according to Suffolk Marriage Index
Date of Robert Mann baptism was 17 October 1808, mother late Hubbard
John

Baptism index also has a second date for Robert, 23 October 1808.
Perhaps the first one refers to a private baptism, then being received into the church?
Would have to see the register to find the answer.

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi John, I'm knew to FindMyPast and still trying to find my way around it so wasn't aware of the Suffolk Baptism Index. Wow the info you have found on it does excite me somewhat and is intriguing.
Susan Hagar Mann (1839-) was Roberts second daughter and she did indeed marry a John Falcus Curry in 1861 I remember thinking when I first found her a few years ago, what an unusual name she had as the only Hagar I knew was a Viking in a cartoon strip. I later learned Hagar was in fact a female biblical figure in the book of Genesis. Was she named after her fathers mother and sister, her grandmother and aunt? His first daughter was named Mary Forster Mann (1835-1890) it would appear after her mother Mary Lynn and grandmother Mary Forster.
Roberts first son was called James (1837-1914), was he named after his grandfather, Roberts father?
I'm thinking like Annette it has to be the same family, it can't be just a coincidence can it?
But I need to be sure before claiming someone and the date of 1808 is troubling me. It doesn't fit with Roberts ages given in the censuses of 1841, 1851 and 1861 of 30, 40 and 50 respectively, nor the date of birth given on the seaman's ticket I found on FindMyPast of 14 October 1811. 14 October would fit though with a baptism date of 17 or 23 October. I think looking at the original document the year on the ticket might be 1810 and not 1811 as given on the transcription. That of course wouldn't help with the 1808 year unless of course there was a transcription error from the parish register to the Suffolk Baptism Index.
I hope I'm not being too picky but fear a bit more work and research to do before I can claim the find and do a few triple somersaults. I am feeling optimistic however and happy to wait a little while longer to ensure accuracy.
Thanks for your help
Pete