Author Topic: Grave Search  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grave Search
« on: Sunday 01 October 17 19:44 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to locate the family of Archibald Gibson who was born in Roxburgh about 1795.
I have tracked him after he moved to Newcastle and even up to the time of his death in 1858.
However I have never been able to locate his parents or siblings, if any, and I have been searching for years.
I am hoping the is someone who lives near Roxburgh who might be willing to look in graveyard at the church there for a headstone that shows any Gibsons, but in particular a Archibald (might be my Archibald's father) or any of these other 1st names Robert/Andrew/John (from naming conventions used in the family.
I know it is a lot to ask but I also know there are those who do this from time to time.

In Hope

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Grave Search
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 October 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
try looking at Crailing parish - found a family that might fit John Gibson & Sarah Roberton had various children around the 1790's and it fits the traditional naming patterns

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 October 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Terianne,

Have come across those names before but have not been able to prove them as there is not a record of them having an Archibald. 
He is listed as being born in Roxburgh while their children were born in Crailing, which I know is not far away. They may indeed be connected but this "missing" Archibald is the problem.

The John you have mentioned may also have married a Margaret Shiel (Crailing) but again no Archibald listed for them either and they used similar naming conventions as well.

So a bit of a conundrum still.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 October 17 15:09 BST (UK) »
This can be a pain but worth checking, because records in this area can be a bit patchy in the 1700's - a lot are missing or damaged

I'll have a look through some of my docs

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 October 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
Terianne,

I kind of thought that the records were not complete but you are the 1st one to confirm that fact.  Being so far away I am not able to view any the records directly so I really appreciate it if you at some point can check for me. This has been an ongoing search for 5yrs and I have got no further than his name and birth location.
If I had been into this when I actually lived in the UK I would have attempted to solve this years ago.

Thanks

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 October 17 22:00 BST (UK) »
Got more info

John Gibson married to Sarah Roberton/Robertoun and Margaret/Peggy Sheil are different people

Found the death of John and Sarah - John died  2 Feb 1801 age 27 and Sarah died 3 Nov 1803 age 30 and their son Robert born 9 Jul 1795 died 15 Nov 1796 age 16months at Crailing

Sarah's Parent could be William Robertoun and Isabel Crispel/Crisel

John and Sarah had at least 2 daug's Janet 1798 & Isabel 1797 at crailing

John  &  Sarah married 22 Mar 1795

But I found an oddity which would suggest that John & Sarah could have had their bands read first in Oct 1794 at Ancrum -  I think if John & Sarah are right - it is possible your Archibald may have been born out of wedlock

John & Sarah died young leaving several young children behind - probably raised by other members of their family

As for John and Margaret - they had a large family at least 7 sons

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 00:52 BST (UK) »
WOW !!

Thank you very much indeed. You have done some major digging for me here  ;D

At least now I can sort out that area of my tree with more certainty.  Archibald probably had a brother called Andrew, because in later years they were each a witness at the others' respective weddings in Newcastle.

I would guess then that illegitimate children would not be registered in the usual manner, which might explain why I can find no record of Archibald's birth/christening anywhere?

Regards

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
The registering of illegitimate child varies in Scotland back then and from church to church this area does generally register them, but getting the details can be sketchy  - In rural areas this families generally accept the children into the family, but there is class differences

You mentioned Archibald had a brother called Andrew  - one of John & Margaret's sons was called Andrew, but not Archibald showing up yet

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 18:25 BST (UK) »
That is the issue though. If common naming conventions were used I should have been able to locate others in the family tree but until his birth I can not find another Archibald (plenty of them afterwards though).

Stay in the  Moment