Author Topic: 1851 Census Look Up - Peasenhall/Framlingham  (Read 1483 times)

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1851 Census Look Up - Peasenhall/Framlingham
« on: Tuesday 02 August 05 13:59 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather William Beard was born in Ware, Hertfordshire in October 1849.  His birth registration shows him as the illegitimate son of a Susan Beard.  I have him from 1861 living with various Beard relatives but never a mother and I suspect that his mother may actually have been a Susan Friend who quotes her birthplace as Peasenhall or Framlingham in Suffolk.  I can find no trace of him in Ware or the workhouse in 1851 and the thought is that perhaps Susan took her young son back home to her parents and he may therefore appear in the 51 census for Peasenhall or Framlingham.  Susan's parents may have been a John Friend and Ann Coleman from Peasenhall.  Susan Friend and William Beard both died within six months of one another at the same address in Ware in 1907 but my hope of finding them together in 1901 did not prove fruitful.  This is a long shot I know, but if anyone can help by checking the 51 census I would be most grateful as this appears to be my only hope of establishing a relationship.

Many thanks
Denise
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: 1951 Census Look Up - Peasenhall/Framlingham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 15:18 BST (UK) »
Could this be the family in 1861

Anne Beard /5 / Ware, /Granddaughter 
Susan Beard 54 / Thundridge/,   Head /widow/charwoman 
Thomas Beard /24/  Ware, / Son   
William Beard /14 / Ware,/ /Son 
Eliza Mills /22 / Ware,/  Daughter   
Elizabeth Mills /2/ Ware,/ Boarder   

RG9/805  -  Ware

Folio 20, Page 6

from
Sue :-\

Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1951 Census Look Up - Peasenhall/Framlingham
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 15:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue. 

The answer could be yes but William doesn't appear in this household in 51 unless the enumerator misheard the name William and entered Ellen instead.    This Susan Beard had been widowed in the early 1840s.  William gave his father's name as James Beard on his marriage cert and there is a lodger by the name of James Stamp in the household in 51.  Possible that he was his father and William always assumed that his parents were married.  What actually puzzles me is that William and this Susan Friend are buried in the same grave in Ware cemetery and the witness to her death was an Ellen Cakebread.  So you see at this stage I can't totally accept enumerator error.  Also, having tracked William and this Susan Friend over the years, they both appear in one of the census returns in Kent.  I think this is one that I may never totally solve but thanks for your efforts.

Cheers
Denise
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford