Author Topic: Translation of an extract  (Read 501 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Translation of an extract
« on: Sunday 01 October 17 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can someone help me with a translation of this extract taken from the publication "A Survey of the Manor of Wye" found on Google Books:

"Heredes Ricardi Essherst tenant in le Harpe et crofto nuper Henrici Elys iii rodas"

"Johannes et Thomas filii Henrici Essheherst tenant in Heighefeld et Hecchesfelde viii acres"

So far I can makes out the names and a few other bits. I think the first sentence states that Richard Essheherst was a tenant, possibly in somewhere called Harpe. I haven't heard of that place so I could be wrong.

I am fairly sure the second states that John and Thomas sons of Henry Esseherst where tenants in somewhere called Heighfeld and Hecchesfede. Again I don't know where those places are.

If anyone can confirm my 'basic translation' or give me any more info that would be great.

I don't know if these Essheherst are related to mine yet but knowing more about them might help me find out.

Best Wishes and Thanks

Matt

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of an extract
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 October 17 23:34 BST (UK) »
"Heredes Ricardi Essherst tenant in le Harpe et crofto nuper Henrici Elys iii rodas"
The heirs of Richard Essherst hold 3 roods in le Harpe and (in a) croft that was lately of Henry Elys.

"Johannes et Thomas filii Henrici Essheherst tenant in Heighefeld et Hecchesfelde viii acres"
John and Thomas, the sons of Henry Essheherst, hold 8 acres in Heighefeld and Hecchesfelde.

In this context, the word tenant is a verb, meaning 'they hold'.

I'm afraid I don't recognise the place-names. You could try looking at some historical surveys of Kent, such as those found at British History Online?
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol7/pp340-368

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of an extract
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 October 17 00:00 BST (UK) »
The heirs of Richard Essherst hold 3 roods in le Harpe and (in a) croft that was lately of Henry Elys.

John and Thomas, the sons of Henry Essheherst, hold 8 acres in Heighefeld and Hecchesfelde.

In this context, the word tenant is a verb, meaning 'they hold'.

I'm afraid I don't recognise the place-names. You could try looking at some historical surveys of Kent, such as those found at British History Online?
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol7/pp340-368

Hiya

Oops that was my mistake with the verb, thanks for correcting that.

Yes I will check the British History online website, I hadn't had time to have a look today but I usually use that as a reference point.

Thanks again

Matt