Author Topic: Confirmation of Date and Details  (Read 8733 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Confirmation of Date and Details
« on: Sunday 01 October 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
The attached image is the first part of the 1514 Will of John Essheherst of Ashford [described in the Wills index as "Ashford Beaver" (see Canterbury Probate Records online index). I would be very grateful if anyone could let me know

a) let me know the date this was made (and confirm the residence of the testator)
b) the names of any other people mentioned .

Many Thanks

Matt

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confirmation of Date and Details
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 October 17 23:42 BST (UK) »
Written on 8 October 1512. The testator was of the parish of Essheford in the county of Kent. No-one else is named in this opening section (apart from St Anne, the church’s dedicatee).

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 October 17 00:17 BST (UK) »
Written on 8 October 1512. The testator was of the parish of Essheford in the county of Kent. No-one else is named in this opening section (apart from St Anne, the church’s dedicatee).

Hi Bookbox

Many thanks for that. Upon looking at the first page of the Will in more detail I think other people are named further down.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 October 17 00:27 BST (UK) »
These two images show the last part of John Essherst's Will and the date of probate. It would be great if someone could confirm the names of any executor/executrix, overseers, or witnesses etc named in the first image and let me know the probate date in the second image (and any other useful details).

According to the Canterbury Cathedral Probate website the Will was proved in 1514, but it also says it was written in 1514, so clarification of the probate date on here would be useful.

Matt

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 October 17 00:48 BST (UK) »
I am useless at reading these old wills, but I do have a question.  Is it just coincidence that the fancy bit looks very much like a man's profile, (wearing one of those big fancy powdered wigs)?

This bit:

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 October 17 01:02 BST (UK) »
I thought it very arty & creative as the face also looks to be drawn within the letter 'J'

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 October 17 02:50 BST (UK) »
Second image:

The probate date is 12 December 1514.

It's a minimal probate clause with only the very basics.

The administration was granted to the executor named in the same testament.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 17 03:24 BST (UK) »
First image:

If this is the end of the will, it doesn't end with the usual appointments as mentioned in your request.

He is talking about the minor age of what I think are his children.

As I read it*, he mentions a Johanne his wife, a Johannus (John) his son and a Johanne his daughter.

In the last Item he mentions a Henry Essherst.

The context relates to custody and governance, and minor age.  A boy and a wife are mentioned.

* DISCLAIMER:  Some or all of this may be quite wrong.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 October 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
1st extract
And the residue of all the profits of my lands & tenements should remain with Johanna/Joan my wife, if she is then living, during the term of minority of the aforesaid John my son & Johanna/Joan my daughter. Item I will that my children should remain in the custody and governance of Henry Essherst or his assigns during the whole of the aforesaid period of (their) minority, if my wife should fail.

2nd extract
As in reply #6 above. The word exec(uto)rib(us) shows that there is more than one executor, but they are not named in this snippet.

ADDED – the decorated initial is surely intentional. An ‘artistic’ clerk in the probate registry? You can sometimes find ‘pointing fingers’ in the margin, decorated with rings and bracelets, to highlight significant parts of a will. With all the legal verbiage to plough through, such guides can be quite helpful.