Author Topic: Agnes MacGookin Camden New Jersey  (Read 1798 times)

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes MacGookin Camden New Jersey
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 October 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
"Relatives and friends are invited to attend"   ???

All obits in the obit listing section are basically "template" obits. Done by funeral home or newspaper.

They all present the same type of information and use the phrase, "Relatives and friends are invited to attend". Names, dates & locations are entered into this type template/format, but note nothing extra about the person is in any of those obit. This is a standard newspaper obit listing service provided by the paper.

The other obit about Agnes was written by someone who knew her and gave extra details of her life and only mentions "friends" and nothing about "relatives" attending.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 October 17 15:32 BST (UK) »
Interesting to check out other family members -  find it can be worth while  - very often when one immigrates - others follow -
Agree different death notices and or obituaries can also vary in detail.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 October 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
Pennsylvania Passenger List - Agnes McIntyre aged 29 years - born Dumbarton - single -
domestic -  relative in country from whence came was Peter McIntyre 15 Strathaven Place Dumbarton.
Going to Aunt Mrs Elizabeth Oxley, 2009 Filmore Street Camden. New Jersey.

FIND A GRAVE

Elizabeth Blair Milliken Oxley -  (could have been married twice) The brother of Agnes Peter
had Blair in his name.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=110562910&ref=acom

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile

Offline Birkenhead

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 October 17 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra, I don't know how to start thanking you for the great help you've given me to find out more about Aunt Agnes.
Her brother John Campbell McIntyre was my grandfather who died in 1929. Peter Colin Blair McIntyre died in 1959 I think.
Agnes wanted to adopt my father (William Campbell McIntyre) when his father died. I'm sure Aunt Agnes had the best of intentions but, a rift developed between Agnes and my grandmother Martha.
There are great gaps in my family history and you have helped to fill them.
I was in New Jersey (Tom's River ) for several summers in the early 1970s and tried twice to find records of Agnes in Ellis Island. Of course at the time, I had no idea that Agnes had landed in Philadelphia !
Sad to read that she didn't have any members of her family around her as she grew older. Not sure if Peter's family kept in touch with her after he died. She must have had some close friends in order for an obituary to have been published.
Thank you once again for all your help.
Jeanette McIntyre