Author Topic: Trying to get back further with my Pembrokes  (Read 2377 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to get back further with my Pembrokes
« on: Monday 02 October 17 12:03 BST (UK) »
Thomas Pembroke/Pembrook married Jane Partridge in Letcombe Bassett in 1770, they had 12 children baptisms ranging  from 1771 to 1796, so would be quite young when married. There is a burial for a Thomas Pembrook in LB on 19 Jan 1826, age at death would make year of birth abt 1846, poss 1845 as chances are he hadn't yet had his birthday for 1826. This would make him abt 25 when he married, (Jane was abt 20 at marriage). So that fits.
I have found a baptism for a Thomas in West East Challow on 21 Apr 1745 s/o John and Sarah Pembroke which would fit with dates, but no other evidence that it is the right one. Thomas called his first daughter Sarah, but did not have a John until his 5th son, his 1st son was William. Jane Partridge's parents were William and Sarah, so Sarah jnr could have been named after Jane's mother.
I can't find a marriage for John Pembroke and Sarah nor any siblings for Thomas, which might help to put a picture together.
Can anyone please find any more on these earlier Pembrokes?

information on Thomas and Jane's children here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=779763.0
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to get back further with my Pembrokes
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

I can't find their marriage in East Challow about 1745 as there appears to be a partial gap
in my transcripts.
However,  there are on-line trees (Ancy) that are showing that John Pembrook married a Sarah Fisher in East Challow on 3-9-1745. It could be they have taken details from the BTs although none are showing any specific source records. They might have been missed when transcribing of the registers were done.  If correct John could be the s/o John Pembrook and Susanna Watlington. As is often the case with on-line trees, they show John as coming from various places all over the UK!!

Sarah appears to have been bapt. 10-11-1706 E/Challow d/o Joseph & Sarah.

There are burials in E/Challow for Sarah Pembrook 29-7-1780 and for John 7-12-1809 aged 98.

Alan.
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I had seen the two burials, but was a bit sceptical about John's age. The date of marriage is after baptism of Thomas who seems to be their only child. Wouldn't he be described as Thomas Fisher base born s/o Sarah if they didn't marry until September? If Sarah was baptised in 1706, she would have been 39, possible but a bit old for first child.
I had wondered if John and Sarah had come from elsewhere with a young family and Thomas was their last child born after their arrival in Challow. All the Pembroke / Pembrooks I've found in Challow / Letcombe seem to trace back to Thomas.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at some Ancestry trees, they do have the Pembrooks getting around a bit - Yorkshire, Kent - sounds too far away from Berkshire.
There is a record of a marriage licence being issued to John Pembrooke and Susanna Watlington on 24 Aug 1709  - it was from Calendar of marriage licenses issued by the Faculty Office, 1632-1714 which only gives name and date but no place. There is a John Pembrook and wife Susanna baptising children in Binfield Berks. Their first was John bapt 1710 but he died two days after being baptised and they didn't have a replacement John until 1719. Binfield is the other end of the county from Challow, and would he have made a 9 year error in his age?

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 October 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

I've found some burials for "Penbrook" in All Saints, Binfield, namely;
27-11-1713 Susan
13-7-1722   Susannah
13-9-1725   John

Could these be related?

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 October 17 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

Just found a marriage for John Penbrook;

Letcombe Regis;
9-3-1744/5 John Penbrook, of Sparsholt to
Sarah Fisher, otp,
By Licence

Neither baptism of the above  found in L/Regis, but this one;

24-5-1740/1 Richard Fisher (illegitimate) s/o Sarah - born 16-5.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 October 17 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizz,
Me again.

Thomas Pembroke/Pembrook married Jane Partridge
Sparsholt; Jane Partridge bapt. 20-5-1750 d/o William & Sarah "of Westcott"

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 October 17 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

Just found a marriage for John Penbrook;

Letcombe Regis;
9-3-1744/5 John Penbrook, of Sparsholt to
Sarah Fisher, otp,
By Licence

Neither baptism of the above  found in L/Regis, but this one;

24-5-1740/1 Richard Fisher (illegitimate) s/o Sarah - born 16-5.

Alan

Thank you that does seem likely, Penbrook is a close enough spelling. Marriage by licence for speed, seeing as little Thomas was born not too long after.

Offline Pembrom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 March 21 05:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

I have been following the Pembrokes of Letcombe Bassett and Binfield for a long time. I hope the following is of use.

John Pembrooke a bachelor aged 30 farmer of Binfield married Susanna Watlington (bapt. 26 Dec. 1689 at Swallowfield, d/o Joseph and Susanna Watlington) spinster aged 20 of the same parish. Licence dated 24 August 1709. They were later married at Yately, Hants, 28 August 1709. Their holding, north of the parish, was valued by the church at £2 10s in 1721. Poll Book of 1721 describes him as a freeholder of Binfield. He was an overseer and/or churchwarden 26 Sep 1724 and may be the Pembroke who was a JP 10 May 1722 (Berks Overseers Papers). John was buried at Binfield 13 Sept 1725 and Susanna 1 March 1726. The manorial records describe John Pembroke deceased (1725) as husbandman.   

John and Susanna Pembroke had 6 children, only three of whom survived to adulthood. Joseph (bapt. 24 Sept 1714) seems to have inherited the farm as the son and heir of John Pembroke (Cookham manorial court records 1759 - 1782). Joseph was described as a yeoman.  Part of the land in which he dwelt was known as the Harp at Carters Hill Common and seems to have been quite a small holding. This had been sold by 1760.

His younger brother, John (bapt. 11 May 1719), was accused of stealing geese from William Pitt. Warrant issued 5 Jan 1737/8. (Diaries and Correspondence of Robert Lee of Binfield 1736 - 1744. Ed by Harry Leonard. Berks Record Society, vol 18, 2012). He may be the John Pembrooke who married Sarah Fisher at East Challow in 1744. Possibly he fled after stealing the geese in order to escape punishment. The third surviving child was Jane, bapt 30 Jan 1716.

As the three surviving children of John and Susanna were orphaned at a young age who brought them up, I wonder? It could have been Susanna’s brother, Joseph Watlington of Binfield. He was a farmer and owner of a mill in the parish. He is mentioned on a number of occasions in the diary of Robert Lee. He died 2 April 1743. The name is generally spelt in the diary as Wattleton.

Please feel free to let me know if you would like more information on the Pembrokes. They go a long way back in Berks and Hants.

Regards,
Pembrom