Author Topic: Hamiltons of Gortanigan  (Read 453 times)

Offline Rosniak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hamiltons of Gortanigan
« on: Monday 02 October 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
My 2xgreat grandparents were Thomas Norris and Margaret Hamilton who married 9 Feb 1846. I have come to a brickwall with both of them unfortunately.

I know that Margaret's father was John Hamiton and that she was living at Gortanigan (Cappagh) at time of marriage. I can find her father John on tithe applotments in 1827. Out of Margaret's 7 children only 2 had children who lived to adulthood. Of those only one (my great grandmother) had any descendants.

I am reasonably happy that I have located a brother for Margaret in Alexander Hamilton who married Jane Brown in Mountjoy Church in 1855. Alexander was also living at Gortanigan and had a father John. Alexander and Jane had at least one child (John in 1857) and after that I can find no trace of them which is frustrating.

So I'm looking for something on Alexander & Jane or some evidence of other siblings for Margaret or something to help me locate my correct Hamilton family.

Thanks for reading!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.